Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my car needs a tune up but im not sure. at around 4000 rpms when i am getting on it hard in all gears it will be running fine and the seem like it will miss and run crappy for a few seconds. Then get right back to going fast. Do you think this is a simple tune up or a deeper problem. Also if it is a tune up were can i get the best deals on plugs and wires.

·
Registered
493 Posts
if you haven't done a tune-up or know when the last one was done, its good to do. cheapest prices: search around, but autopartsgiant.com and rockauto.com are pretty cheap, sometimes kragen or autozone parts will be cheaper. i found ebay was cheapest for plug wires.
recommended parts:
NGK plugs (either v-grove or g-power if you want them to last longer)
NGK wires
new distributor cap and rotor (brand shouldn't matter, as long as they fit good)
PCV valve (brand doesn't matter to me on this either)
fuel filter is also good to do if you have never changed it and your car has over 60k miles
simple to do and should make your car run better, but it depends on when it was last done.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If you haven't done a tune-up or can't remember the last time, DO IT. Change your fuel filter, change your plugs, check brake pads, and test wires. Chances are your wires don't have to be changed, just check them for resistance with an ohm meter. Change your oil, etc etc. You will also notice a significant increase in gas mileage.

I would not say the fuel filter is so simple to do ;). Getting that bottom hose unattached can be quite the hassle, and be prepared for fuel to get on you. Granted, if you're experienced with all these, I don't see this taking more than 3 hours to do everything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts