Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need help, I got the turbo used, so that's part my fault (ebay). But my turbine doesn't spin during idle. It's supposed to spin freely right? Why is it that it's not spinning? My cousin mentioned because maybe my throttle wasn't opened enough, so i had to adjust the screw :shrug: Please help asap.

Could it also be because the internal wastegate rod was stretched too far out, like not generating boost?

After a little research, i found that on some turbos, the turbine doesn't spin at idle. But is that correct?

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
king is correct, usually on idle it wont spin and if it does, its gonna be barely moving. as soo as you hit the gas alittle, then you should see it spin even with the slightest touch of open thottle. either way, as long as your not smoking during boost, and theres very little-no shaft play, i think your fine..:tup:

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:D Good thing. Cuz for some reason when I was boosted before, I thought I remember the turbo spinning at idle. But I guess everything is fine now :)

And now I'm back in the boosted 6 team ;)

I'll have pictures later.

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
What size turbo are you using...if it is too big, it might not spin at idle. It also could be rubbing. Does it boost at all?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Lucky...I cant see my turbine at idle. Spins way too fast. Then again, I also produce 4.7 psi when I rev the motor without activating the boost builder program, then I can do anywhere from .1-45psi by revving.

I am hoping to join the ranks of the i4 2g turbo in the next 6 months

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Radar said:
What size turbo are you using...if it is too big, it might not spin at idle. It also could be rubbing. Does it boost at all?
I'm running a t3 .48 (t) .52(c). I am boosting, currently at 5-6 psi. But the problem is, it doesn't really hit full boost until about 4.5k I can see boost start at about 3k rpms, but still climbs all the way to 5psi at 4.5k. Why so much lag? Could it be a boost leak? restriction in the exhaust?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Garrett bearing designs arent the best. My t3/t04b didnt spin at idle at all. My holset HY35(which is much bigger) spins extremely fast at idle and spools just as fast as the garrett did even though it can support 200 more HP. :tup: to holset turbos

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
If a turbo that small isn't hitting full boost until 4.5k - i'd say you've got some rubbing, or other damage...

how much resistance do you feel if you spin it by hand? how long will it continue spinning after you give it a whirl?

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
Its the turbo. My turbo did the same thing when I got it. Would spin freely and only make a little boost. Got worse with time. Took the turbine housing off and it was rub a dub dubbin.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
based on your other post about late late boost on such a small turbo - i'd have to say the same.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
you should really get much spin at idle or at a stop. but if its really boosting that late when your running than there could be something wrong with the turbo. Its also different what gear you get boost at and at which point

1 - 16 of 16 Posts