Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i decided to go with the t-bird set up and bought one with 90k on the clock but its been laying in a shop since early 1990. and i found some oil in my IC piping. the shaft like literaly has no play in it at all though?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Oil leakage from a turbo has to do with the turbo piston oil rings on the cold side and turbine oil rings on the hot side.
Play has more to do with the bushes and thrust bearing.

I doubt that the rings in your turbo could go bad from the turbo sitting on a shelf.

If the oil is on the pre turbo pipes I would think that is more likely that the oil is coming from your breather pipe.
Check for oil in the pipe that goes from your rocker cover to the post VAF elbow.

More than in thin coating of oil in that pipe would possibly indictate that your crankcase is over preasureised either by a stuffed PCV valve or by worn rings.

As a quick "fix" for that you could run the breather into a catch can instead of the inlet elbow.

If the pre turbo pipes and breather pipe are relatively clean then look at your turbo.
It would be a simple matter of throwing a rebuild kit in it, which is fiddley but not overly hard to do once you have the turbo off.

See the rebuild thread by SixSick6 in the 1G FI FAQs'

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, the motor is freshly re built and actually my breather hose for the valve cover that runs to the VAF pipe is disconected most of the time. the crank case breather is connected to the bottom on the intake mani i take it?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Disconnected how?
If you simply block it crankcase pressure will build up during boost causing leaks and such.
But with the breather blocked or disconnected you def' shouldn't get any blow-by in your pipes.
I say freshen that turbo and you should be fine.

And by crankcase pressure I mean crankcase and rock cover since the pressure comes from the crankcase and the 2 are connected by the oil drains.
So the other breather is the hose that goes from your rocker cover to the intake manifold, it connects to the PCV valve pushed into the rocker cover grommet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok ill make a custom hose and connect the valve cover hose to the VAF piping. it is not supposed to have a one way valve in it correct?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts