Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody new anything about a weep hole for coolant in or around the Turbo. I have an 89 MX6 4WS and it just started heating up a lot yesterday. Today I drove a few blocks and the heat started to rise so I pulled over and there was coolant bursting out of a hole on the front of the Turbo.

I checked to see if perhaps a hose came loose but there didn't seem to be anything there. I can't figure out what this hole is there for or what's supposed to plug it.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Here is a diagram of where the leak is.
Is does not seem as though a hose belongs there.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/dtodd55

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Our stock turbo's are both oil and water cooled. One of your coolant lines has probably broken from age. You should let it cool way down and start looking around for the broken hose.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
My turbo coolant line (the top-most coolant line on the turbo) was old and cracked. Since that line is close to above where that hole is, could it be leaking down on the turbo near that hole you mentioned? I haven't taken my turbo out to inspect it so I can't see the hole from it's current position. It may be a weep/vent hole for the turbo similar to the water pump for when the turbo's cooling system fail (bad seals?)

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
no there isnt anything like that on the turbo, jack you car up and looks at the hoses underneath, there is one that is almost an S shape (upper) and one that is an L shape (lower). you should replace the hoses ASAP, even if they arent cracked, more than likely they are 15 years old, and will soon crack. They cost $12 total at Mazda, you could try bulk hose, but the pre bent pre molded is always the best option, especially when you are dealing with coolant flowing inside, best not to have any kinks or to use hose that has extreme temp running through it that is designed for fuel flow. That's the surest way to the big turbo city in the sky....an overheating problem

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
SixSick6 said:
That's the surest way to the big turbo city in the sky....an overheating problem
Most modern turbos aren't even water cooled. It's more or less a safety precaution for people that don't spool down/cool down the turbo after driving as well as longevity purposes.

Then again these are out of production 15 year old IHI's with almost no info released on them so...

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
I had this problem with the upper tube and I replaced it with regular straight tube for a while. I did install it in a funky way though. As you can see I included a rough drawing.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I really wouldn't recommend just using bulk hose for this application, especially the upper turbo coolant hose, which is in a very hot area (just under the exhaust manifold) so it has a thick rubber heat protector installed over it.

These hoses are in a tight spot and it will be difficult to get the bulk stuff on there and it will likely kink. I would recommend ordering the correct molded hoses as they are cheap from the dealer and can probably take the heat better than the bulk stuff.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had to remove and re-attach that heat protecting rubber piece so much, it's sitting in my tool box. Got tired of putting it on, and pulling it off when the hose popped off.

Be sure to replace the clamps too, if you can manage to get a screwdriver or wrench in there.

·
Registered
751 Posts
shannonlujan said:
Most modern turbos aren't even water cooled. It's more or less a safety precaution for people that don't spool down/cool down the turbo after driving as well as longevity purposes.
Every turbo I have ever seen here in Australia (including Japanese imports which we have loads of) has been water cooled, 80s, 90s, 00 models. The only ones I have ever heard of not being water cooled are diesels I think?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Illswyn said:
I had to remove and re-attach that heat protecting rubber piece so much, it's sitting in my tool box. Got tired of putting it on, and pulling it off when the hose popped off.
Well I would suggest you put it on unless you want it to blow again.

As for the clamps, you will find it difficult to install these hoses with screw-type clamps as the space is very tight, except for a couple connections. I would recommend reusing the stock clamps if they are still OK or finding some new oem type clamps.

I really did not enjoy replacing all of these hoses but it's worth it for the peace of mind. Get the rubber oil return line while you're at it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate all the responses here, but after careful inspection my hoses seem to be fine.

When I pour more coolant in the rad a solid stream comes out of the hole that I mentioned in the turbo. The hole is directly facing the rad. The coolant lines connect on the back and bottom of the turbo.

The link below shows where the hole is. I still suspect that it is some kind of safety weep hole similar to that in the waterpump.

The red dot on the diagram shows where the hole is:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/dtodd55

·
Registered
707 Posts
i looked at my turbo today and now i see teh hole your talking about, but i have no clue what teh heck it is for, but yes there is a hole there, somehow im going to imagine that's not a good thing, not sure how to fix or if you may need a new turbo.

·
Registered
707 Posts
there is a hole there, why or what purpose i dont know, it looks like a hole a bolt would go into, but if his is leaking like he says it is than he has a leak there, here is a link to my car domain with the last pic of teh turbo, you'll notice in the center where the hole is just on the intake side right where it bolts to teh exhuast side is the odd hole.

www.cardomain.com/memberpage/444470

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
dougiefresh said:
There is no weep hole. If you have a hole it's not meant to be there.
There's a casting hole. It gets filled with a plug sometimes called a "Freeze Plug".

Fix? New plug or (preferably) tap for a pipe plug.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks sleepcounter! that's the reply I was looking for. So I need to plug it. I'll have to figure out how to do that.

Secondly, any idea of what caused it to burst in the first place?
Maybe a clogged thermostat? or could it have maybe been clogged coolant lines going in and out of the turbo?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts