Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if anybody new anything about a weep hole for coolant in or around the Turbo. I have an 89 MX6 4WS and it just started heating up a lot yesterday. Today I drove a few blocks and the heat started to rise so I pulled over and there was coolant bursting out of a hole on the front of the Turbo.

I checked to see if perhaps a hose came loose but there didn't seem to be anything there. I can't figure out what this hole is there for or what's supposed to plug it.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Diagram of leak:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/dtodd55

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Are you sure the coolant is coming from the turbo and not a puncture in the lower radiator hose? Because, the turbo is oil cooled... so if you have coolant spraying out... it might be something along the lines of a warped head or a blown gasket... letting the coolant and oil mix. Check your overflow bottle, does it look like a milkshake?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply.

The overflow is dry. I don't think it's the head gasket. It hasn't overheated enough to damage the head gasket.;

It's spraying from a really weird spot.

It is spraying out of a hole that faces the rad on the front of the intake part of the turbo.

I've been searching this site for hours trying to figure it out.

The only thing I can think of is that it is some kind of purge hole for the Turbo.

I have a diagram in which I could point out where it is, but I'm not sure how to post it.

Dave

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
It probably isn't a good thing that the overflow is dry... but that is a bit off the subject...

Is the diagram online? if so, just get the URL of it (right click on the picture then click properties then copy the URL) and either paste it into the thread window, or click the IMG button and paste the URL there.

If it isn't online already, go sign up at www.digitalpose.com for free and upload it then follow the directions above.

I don't know a lot about turbos but I'm kinda curious and maybe the picture will help someone more knowledgable to understand what is going on.

·
Registered
707 Posts
actually our turbo's are oil and watered cooled, so he could be leaking coolant from the turbo, this happened to me when i first bought my car, but it was just the water in line that was dried out and cracked, easy fix with new rubber hose.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
If its the prebent coolant hose to the right of the turbo area, I'm not surprised. I've replaced that hose twice in two years. That area generates way too much heat to rely on a weak rubber hose. The part is about $8 at the dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just posted a diagram showing exactly where the leak is.
The leak is directly facing the Rad and sprays coolant all over it.
The coolant hoses going into the Turbo look fine.
It is spraying out of a perfectly round hole that is bored into the front of the turbo intake, and it does not seem as though any hoses should have been attatched to it.
The red dot on the diagram shows where the hole is.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/dtodd55

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Caffine, Are u still out there? If so I have a question about the coolant hose u replaced way back when. Do you happen 2 know the inside diameter of the pre-bent hose? I am looking to just bye a length of silicone hose to replace mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts