Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody new anything about a weep hole for coolant in or around the Turbo. I have an 89 MX6 4WS and it just started heating up a lot yesterday. Today I drove a few blocks and the heat started to rise so I pulled over and there was coolant bursting out of a hole on the front of the Turbo.

I checked to see if perhaps a hose came loose but there didn't seem to be anything there. I can't figure out what this hole is there for or what's supposed to plug it.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is everyone stumped on this one or what?

I just posted a diagram showing exactly where the leak is.
The leak is directly facing the Rad and sprays coolant all over it.
The coolant hoses going into the Turbo look fine.
It is spraying out of a perfectly round hole that is bored into the front of the turbo intake, and it does not seem as though any hoses should have been attatched to it.
The red dot on the diagram shows where the hole is.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/dtodd55

Dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just looked at the motor i have on a stand and compared it to your diagram and it looks like its a plug. Nothing goes to it and its just a plug for something. I don't no if you can have that replaced or not. If so i'd wonder about it "blowing" out again. If you can get it fixed i'd suggest getting it wielded.
Sorry to be the barrer of bad news.
Hope you can fix it and make a trip to Belleville, I've never seen a 4ws let alone a gt4ws.
later
lowrad

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think he may be right... I don't know much about the 1st Gen turbo's, but it sounds like a failsafe or something. It Pops out so the turbo doesn't blow up under the pressure or something. I would look at the turbo cooling system (Oil + Water) before you plug it back up and start driving around again. You might just end up having this problem again otheriwse. Or worse... :tdown:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. Some guy responded with this in another forum:

"There's a casting hole. It gets filled with a plug sometimes called a "Freeze Plug".

Fix? New plug or (preferably) tap for a pipe plug."

As for Belleville, at this point I'm just hopeing to get back on the road and not have to resort to my 72 v-dub van that could blow up at any time!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.