Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be a good idea to install an auto-tranny oil cooler in the Oil Feed line to the turbo? Maybe put a little 12volt fan on it??

just an idea

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
That sounds like a cool idea, but the question is, do you put the cooler before or after the cooler? I think it should go after, to take away the heat that the turbo puts into the oil, but maybe it wouldn't make a difference if it were before or after, if the same amount of heat is taken out of the oil either way.
Our cars do alreday have oil coolers btw.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about before... the oil coming from the engine is already HOT, so the cooler would lower the oil temp. just before it goes into the turbo so that way it can absorb more heat from the bearings.

The stock cooler we have just cools the engine oil with the coolant from the cooling system... so its not THAT effective!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Turbo cooler

Wouldnt this restrict the oilflow to or from the turbo to mouch. when i read abouth turbo conversion i found a chapter abouth oil piping to and from the turbo the drain pipe from the turbo should according to this have as free flow as possible. im not shure of what will happen if you put an cooler in this pipe but ill guess it will restrict the flow a lot.
what abouth install a air/oil cooler and attach the tubes at the filter socket with an adapter

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure it will create backpressure... oil system pressures are pretty high (I mean look at the flimsy oil holes the oil has to go thru in the filter!!) and a tranny cooler was designed for that kind og thing as well...

·
Registered
24 Posts
My friend is going to but a Subaru XT6 (a flat 2.7L 6cyl.) Motor in is 87 Subaru wagon (which has a flat 1.8L 4 cly.) and then put one of his Mitsu. Conquest turbos on it and he was thinking of putting pre and post oil coolers for the turbo charger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts