Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
You mean Loooonnnng turbo headers.
Looking good.

How long are those runners?
You are using a wastegate screamer pipe and not venting pressurized flames into the hood ?
Is that the downpipe or an intercooler pipe to the lower left? Did you reverse the turbo, so intake is the passenger side and exhaust is the drivers side making it easier to run a front mount intercooler?

How many liters is your rad? it looks half the size but twice as thick as the factory rad.

I like the way you ditched all emission controls and used the space for the FPR and coils.

I don't know what you are using for air metering, Map, Vaf or Maf and I don't know if you are running that small air filter on the valve cover as PVC inlet air but one of my customers ran the same thing on his factory boost mx6 and managed to detonate cylinder 2 or 3, he said he was spooling up from low rpm in 4th and smoke started coming out the exhaust. My guess is cylinder 2 or 3 got an extra dose of un-metered air from the valve cover and with no extra gas to match this air, the cylinder leaned out and detonated.

You can vent PCV to atmosphere but you have to do it on both sides of the valve cover, you won't need a PCV valve and you block the fitting on the intake manifold.

Nice build, finished pics?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lonnngggggg longggg headers haha

Tbh crank case ventilation is not my forte. I didnt know to evenly vent both sides im most def going to change that.

For tuning purposes im using speed density with a map sensor and monitoring intake temps. Using the sensors in the distributor to run an aftermarket ign module and coil pack for ign control. Sequential fuel inj with wasted spark ign. Eventually i will have sequential ign control but the price of the wasted spark coil was a 1/4 the price of what a full race coil set i would need from diy auto tune cost.

Yes the turbo is flipped. Going to relocate the coolant overflow tank to the driver side and use the entire open area where the old windshield wiper resevoir and coolant overflow tank used to be as a fresh air intake box. For now ive just been using a filter directly on the turbo for intake. I enjoy the way the turbo looks that direction and makes fmic piping a breeze. Ill get pics posted up once i remount the turbo with the wrapped headers. Itll look nice and tidy.

Im not sure the coolant capacity for this radiator. Its made for a honda. 2 1/4" core. I had a massive radiator before, turns out that was way overkill and made my engine bay crammed. I have a 8x10x2 oil cooler i will be installing once i get my oil filter sandwhich plate figured out. Have a temp switch thatll turn a fan on to keep oil temps at 200° That will decrease the load on the radiator significantly.

As of now havent noticed any cooling problems with this size radiator w/o a shroud.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Each runner measured out to be 1' 3" long with a total of 6.5' of ss pipe used. Including the loud ass screamer. Excluding the collector which was pre made. Screamer pipe vents out the hole i used for my original hood exit exhaust. Piped it so it landed right underneath the hole.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
What you need to know about crank ventilation:
It's best to have both one way or the other. both in the metered air stream or both to atmosphere, you may need an oil catch can on the PCV valve side of the valve cover if you start seeing oil come out (which is normal). Even though you are running a Map sensor that measures pressure (negative and positive) you tuned the fuel to the volume of air the intake intercooler pipes carry and having the PCV opened on one end is still an unknown variable for air deliver and could mess with cylinder A/F's especially those closest to the port. If you start making high boost and Crank pressure pops the dipstick up then you may need a pump or larger valve cover ports to vent the pressure from. But don't think it's because you are venting to atmosphere because with the factory PCV set-up crank pressure has to exceed boost pressure to pass
(move the ball in) the PCV valve, so under boost it only vents to the vacuum intake side before the turbo.

Looked like a honda rad but I didn't want to call it that in case it wasn't. The best way to test your rad and cooling fan capability's is simply to let the car idle a while after driving it hard, if it doesn't heat soak and keeps the temp steady then it's sufficient. I don't know if keeping the oil at 200degrees will help the rads cooling potential, it will be good for the engine, the turbo bearings and the oils longevity but the speed at which the engine heats coolant is blistering fast and oil for the most part doesn't travel in the same circles coolant does. Really the values are fixed, you engine creates X amount of heat and the rad has to cool X amount of heat, if you run a lower temp thermostat it just means more coolant flows through the rad but the amount of heat to transfer remains the same, if the rad can't cool the heat enough before coolant is sucked back into the engine than the rad is to small. However a combination of things could change the numbers around. The engine is like a big giant heat sink, eventually the heat spreads out evenly. Your oil cooler will have an effect but a very small one, generously I guess 1% but i'm really thinking 0.5%. Water dissipates heat faster and better than coolant does, water freezes coolant doesn't, water evaporates coolant doesn't, Water boils at a lower temperature than coolant, water rusts metal coolant lubricates it, that why it's added to the cooling system (I have read that coolant and oil have 1/3 the heat capacity of water) so the higher the water percentage you run the better it will cool, look up the temperature to mixture and mix for the lowest temp you will see where you live. Or run a different mix in the summer and never forget to swap it for winter.
% Water vs AF . Freezing Point. Boiling Point
90%.......................26°F...............214°F
80%.......................18°F...............216°F
70%........................7°F................220°F
60%......................-10°F...............220°F
50%......................-34°F...............225°F
40%......................-63°F...............232°F
Ignore boiling point, remember many types of race cars run pure water because it cools better and doesn't leave slippery messes on the track that don't evaporate.
Always use distilled water.

Remember when tuning standalone, the basic rules apply, when tuning a carb you turn both fuel jets up and lower the first to idle but you run the car rich and lower it bit by bit until right. The same for standalone, don't try to guess the amount of fuel for the air, add more fuel and pull more timing then you need and work the fuel down and timing up. Don't be afraid to leave a couple "horse power" on the table and run a bit richer and more conservative timing, just run an extra psi boost to make up the power.
Did I mention build, buy, get water/meth injection.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What gas are you running? Can you run e85 or other types of fuels along with water meth? Does it matter which fuel you choose as long as it's tuned properly?

Water/meth helps with knock prevention too right? For the higher compression guys. I want to use e85 when i get some bigger injectors. Will using e85 and spraying water meth give you even more protection as well as opportunity for big power?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I run 94 octane gas, the highest rated pump gas available here. There is one gas station within 150miles that sells e85 and that is it, so it very impractical for me to run.
Yes to all your other questions.

There are some tuners that use flex fuel sensors on their cars and can run e85 or pump gas with stand alone management.

When you get to the tuning limit of e85 and water/meth, you increase the amount of methanol to water in the mixture and the amount you inject, at which point it's like tuning a car running alcohol blends of race fuel.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately the uploading process kills the quality of the pictures. This is how its driving now, except the intake for the turbo. Thats a mock up of where it will land, just used chunks for refrence. The coolant overflow tank feels like it belongs there. I will shield off the opening for true cold air intake puposes.

Lucky me i have 3 e85 pumps in a 20 mile radius. Will just have to plan ahead and take some extra tanks. Not my daily driver though so really doesnt matter for me. Megasquirt supports flex fuel and the sensor is fairly cheap from diyautotune or other sources. For sure will be part of the plan when i start using e85

http://rs1376.pbsrc.com/albums/ah2/juan_dominguez2/20180803_173619_zpshkankrkb.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

http://rs1376.pbsrc.com/albums/ah2/juan_dominguez2/20180803_1736261_zpssxw01qyo.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I got the collector off of vibrant performance. I can buy pipe at close to wholesale prices due to the field im in so i just hit my local industrial shops out here in denver co. I would do a google search for 2 1/4" sch 10 ss pipe and search for the best deals. For sure hit a few websites before buying, some places mark their ss pipe way up. 2.25" pipe on fhe flange is just close enough to make welding the inside seams possible but difficult. Anything bigger youll start touching pipe and running out of flange to weld onto. I wacked the head flange off of the ebay set i had. Collectors are pretty difficult to fab up but doable with the right experience. Theyre cheap enough that the time saved not making one is worth it. Them bolts are a PITA though for the collector and head flange, gotta make sure you can still get them on after its all said and done. Sucks that mazda went two bolts on the bottom of the flange instead of the top. Overall looks sweet and well worth the time. Hugeeeee savings; turbo headers that look that cool cost $1000+
Sounds wicked too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts