Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone with lots of turbo experience tell me how much, if any shaft play is acceptable on a turbo. I started disassembling my 626 today and I was able to inspect the turbo. The turbine looks nice with no nicks or anything on the blades, but there is a very minor amount on side to side play (transverse to the axis the turbine spins on). It's just barely perceptable. Is that really bad? I was going to upgrade this turbo and put it on my MX6, so it's going to get rebuilt regardless, but I'm just curious if a very small amount of play is bad.
In any case, it looks pretty good to me for 208,000 miles.

·
Registered
371 Posts
i think the end play u r talking about is what snowballs into what i now have in my turbo is that incessant howling on spool up. my friend said 2 me that the play gets worse and worse and the end result is a scored compressor housing along with bits of broken blade. or the impeller bites hard into the housing suddenly and snaps it off the shaft.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK that's all I needed to know. My 626 turbine still looks nice...hasn't touched the housing yet. But like I said I think I'm gonna upgrade. How much does that cost again, for the T-bird one?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I think it's like $250. Not bad. I think I'm going to go with Charles' rx-7 turbo, which is more like $550.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just took my turbo off the other night. When it was mounted it seemed like there was no play but when I had it in my hand and wiggled it I realized there was a tiny amount of play so I'm deciding to rebuild it just to be safe. It definately would of had a snowball effect. I'm going to dismantle the whole turbo tomorrow to see if it will take a rebuild.
Funny, I was going to ask you what shape that turbo off your parts car was like...

G

·
I must say that is quite a bit of miles for a turbo. Sure there will be a slight amount of play after those miles, but as long as it isn't more than 1 mm on each side. Also, give it a spin. If there is resistance and it stops after 1-2 rotations then the seal is good, but if it continues to spin and spin after you let go the the seal is bad. I'm sure it will be fine until you get it rebuilt or upgraded.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey, i have a question for the veteran mx-6'ers, what other turbo can fit on the first gen. 2.2 (i.e., like from what other wehicles are a direct, or "safe" swap?)cauz i want an upgrade

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
There's a variety of turbo upgrades for our cars, but most of them are hybrids using the stock exhaust wheel and an upgraded compressor. The most popular is the "t-bird" upgrade, where the compressor housing is enlarged and the compressor wheel from an '85 Thunderbird is put in. Supposedly it's good for about 250hp. Below is an snippet from a post made by "Raw Power", a probetalk memeber. Very informative. Charles, another PT member is running a bulk buy on the rx-7 turbo right now for about $550. That's a direct drop in, no sending in your old turbo.

Well cost is a big factor but heres a run down on what guys have and good ones
1. The stock turbo is rated at a max CFM of 190 and good for about 200HP. Cost is nothing if yours is good.

2. The T-bird upgrade a very popular and great upgrade good for 280CFM and about 250-270HP. Cost is about $200-450 you provide the core. This requires no modifications to fit being that it uses the stock exhaust housing but using the 87-88 T-bird turbo coupe wheel and housing or a bored out stock housing.

3. The Jspec is a very good upgrade as well using the stock turbos exhaust housing as well and using a different wheel. This is rated at 320CFM and about 300HP. This runs about $500-700 to get done being the rarity of the wheel and housing that it uses called the ferrari F40 wheel.

4. The t3/t4 turbo by Garrett this is where you start to get serious you have to have an adapter for the manifold made and for the downpipe but worth it due to the variety of wheels you can choose from, CFMs can range from about 300 all the way up too 500 or more but lag becomes a prob at higher CFMs. These turbos can make serious HP depending on the wheel choices you make. Cost for the whole thing installed including adapters and turbo etc etc is around $700-900.

5. RX7 hybrid turbo that Charles is working on only info I have about it is it is good for about 375HP and about 450 CFM. Cost seems to be around $700 or more I do not know whether there is mounting probs.

6. WRX STi RA ralley turbo that I have is rated at 590 CFM and about 450 HP max. Cost is about 1200 for the whole set up. Normally lag would be huge with this turbo but it has a dual stainless steel roller bearing which provides awesome response for such a big turbo. Boost comes in at 2850RPMs and full boost is avaliable by 4200 RPMS

7. The t3 from Thomas knight I hear is a good turbo and runs about the same HP as the T-bird and about the same CFM. Costs are about $600 for it as well.

·
Registered
371 Posts
STi Turbo

funny u should mention the STi turbo. my friend owns a rally workshop and he is an expert with subabrus, hence his 3 years with Pro-Drive in the UK. he told and showed me that the 2door STi subaru wrx imprezas(mouthful) have an IHI turbo in them much like ours. the only diference is that theres is hi flowed using a q trim wheel and machined housing. its amazing how much our stock turbos can produce with the right matched housing and impellors. as a result i am having mine hi flowed to the sti trim impellers. look out.!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.