Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure what to think because I having really checked anything.

I get a light, it changes and I take off normal. Lay into 2nd gear a little and I notice my car is sluggish.
I did the normal, checked my gauges. Temp is fine, my vacuum is normal, and I didnt see any smoke.

-I hit full boost at 5500rpms, and it wasnt even full boost. It was 10psi:freak:

-I also noticed that my exhaust note is louder. Sounds almost NA now. I can barely hear the turbine spooling.

-I checked for shaft play. Has the same as before, maybe a little worse. Spins freely.

I dont think its a boost leak, although I havent checked. Didnt hear any hissing, the idle is clean, and the vacuum is normal. A friend suggested that my boost controller could have went bad but that doesnt explain the loud exhaust note.

The car seems to drive alright. A little sluggish and you have to keep the boost gauge at "0" to go anywhere.

Anyone think I f-ed up some turbine fins??

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I would build yourself a pressure tester. They can easily be built with a valvestem and adding like 18psi into it to test for leaks. I had a little bit of the same problem last night. I was only hitting like 6psi at like 4500 rpm(I'm running stock boost for now). It was one of those cheap squeeze that came lose on my charge pipe. Replaced all the clamps and I was spiking at like 9-9.5 as usual.

-Tyler

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Fixed it at work.

I was on my lunch break and remembered that my friends Mirage had the same symptoms as me. His wastegate flapper/line had disconnected.

Sure enough, I pop my hood and the flapper is open and the rod is just sitting there. Connected it, all fine again.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts