Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll quote twinturbo6

"" got cash? well as of yet two things are happering my 400 horsepower quest. money, and money. To get that kind of power also reqiures building the bottom end up, something i have no cash for. and of course their are the ignition, fuel, and transmission mods that have to accompany it. hell i'm thinking of just selling the whole kit, and saving my self some cash .""

I'm sorry to hear of your findings. I've mentioned this to my "all knowledgeable" friend, his name is Ron. I asked him about Turbofying a non-turbo engine. I just haven't had time to post what all he said.

Unfortunately, twinturbo6 discovered the woes of "turbofying". I just thought you had a lot of money. There is a lot more to turning a normally aspirated engine into a positive pressure (air into the intake) engine. Blowing the bottom out of your engine is one big concern. There are also other issues as well. Especially the computerized portion.

Gasoline burns at a certain rate, right? Well that rate can be accelerated by adding more air, right? On a normally aspirated engine, the timing on the engine increases as the rpms increase. On a turbo motor, the timing is actually retarded as the turbo begins aspirating the motor. Why? Well, here is the part I may not be too accurate, however, you'll get the principle.

Normally aspirated motors ignite the gasoline and air at a couple of degrees before TDC (top dead center) of the piston. When you force more air into that cylinder, you change the burn rate of the fuel. Therefore, the ignition must be slowed a bit to make up that difference (fuel burning faster). If that doesn't happen, guess what? It's a matter of time before "POOF", bye bye motor.

Timing and the bottom end are two serious issues with "turbofying". Don't ask me for specifics, these are just things for those of you who want to turbofy to consider.

There are other issues as well. But from a reliability standpoint, it probably is just not a good idea (this also pertains to Supercharging as well). It will work for a while, and be fun as hell, but then one day, Poof!

It can be done, and done correctly to maintain reliability. Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of slapping a turbo/supercharger on and changing a couple of sensors.

If anyone has successfully installed a turbo on a non-turbo motor, and has been driving it for a while, a lot of us would be interested in hearing your experience(s).

S

·
0 Posts
Supercharger

Hello:

I have had a supercharger on my 1997 MX6 LS for about a year now. So far I have had no major problems. Hopefully I won't have any.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool

What all did you have to do--if you feel like it.

Is it fast? I'm sure it is. Ever timed it?

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Re: Supercharger

supermx said:
Hello:

I have had a supercharger on my 1997 MX6 LS for about a year now. So far I have had no major problems. Hopefully I won't have any.
Hi!

I'm thinking of having my MX6 supercharged and I would appreciate from some facts of doing that. Have you installed it by your self? Have you done anything else to the engine? Have you got some pics that you could email me?

I really am intrested and I would like to hear all important things on superchargin' a sixer.

You wanna help me out of this, please???

Mici
[email protected]

Ps. Thank You very much.

S

·
0 Posts
I got my kit from TKT and did the installation myself. It wasn't hard but just very time consuming as I am not a mechanic. It took me a while to get everything working right.

I took my car to the tract for the first time this summer. My best time/run was:

14.8 @ 98.64MPH

This run was done on street tires, I had a very hard time hooking up. I am hoping to get a set of slicks and try it again, hopefully my times will get better.

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Yo supermx

So you don't have any other modifications in your engine? I mean like low compression piston kit or anything like that?
Have you dynoed your car yet?

Thanks man
Mici

S

·
0 Posts
At this point I have not done anything to the internals of the engine. But I am at the point where if I want more power I will have to add larger injsectors or more injectors because I an running out of feul.

I haven't dynoed the car but hope to next summer.

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
One more question...

So you propably have those kit installation instructions? Could you post them to me? Since I'm on the other side of the planet, I would like to have as much information on superchargin' my sixer as possible. That way I would be more convenient to order a kit from TKT. I just wanna have all the stuff ready when I'm starting the installation...
Thanks for your time anyway!
Mici

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
just when i thought i had seen REALLY old posts being brought back....

you would probably do better trying to PM the guy instead of bringing up old threads. there are many people out there with SC and Turbo setups that have been running since this thread was started.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
hi i'm in burlington ontario and i really want to know if you finally install your supercharger or turbo
:eek: :eek: :eek:

i know, i know...you are new..

search function is key... lol
many people have boosted an mx6/probe. Just look around...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
he is a newbie and cant PM yet

6 1/2 years yep ooooold post

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
i haven't seen very many new things in here. alot of questions about problems with cheap setups running poorly, where to get hot pipes, and how to tune. not very much new info...
and people still ask about how to use VRIS on a turbo engine

the funny thing is micci was asking about SC setups back then....
since then he's turbo'd his car and is on his 2nd custom IM i think lol

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Geez that was old thread. Me asking about SC's. :lol:

Anyway, it's good to see that things aren't the same to everyone as mine. I've been really lazy on doing anything on the mx-6. My time has been going more Audi-wise direction. Sold the old turbokit to a fellow Finnish mx-6 enthusiast, sold the old T4 to another mx-6 enthusiast...

Yea, I'm on my third turbo, on my third turbo setup and what not... The Audi TT seems to be a lot easier to live with tho. :lol:

Mici

PS. I'll be back. ;)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
uhhhhh, i dont think hes not a member anymore, start a new thread because this one is 7 years old and was about turbos. also you have to learn how to search better if you don't want to get flamed. one example of a pre-made kit:
ProbeAddiction Supercharger Kit

1 - 20 of 21 Posts