Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I need some opions......I want a ZE, but i'm also thinking of boosting in the future.....should i rebuild my 03(200,000+km and starting to burn oil) or should i get a ZE and lower compression when the turbo comes......I'm really torn:help: ......also I would like to konw if there are any turbo kits for a 93' LS out there.....all input would be greatly apperciated.....

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
There are turbo kits. MMI has one (I'm a sales rep for them). As for boosting, it depends. A properly tuned ZE engine can withstand a decent amount of boost and still be operable. IE: Fastest95pgt. However if you're merely going for boost numbers, your best bet is a DE engine. I on the other hand am going to recommend rebuilding the engine regardless and strengthening your rods.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
FI newbies are the ones who are shooting for high boost numbers. What you should be aiming for is high Torque/HP numbers. If you have a goal, then let us know and we can help you decide from there.

By the sounds of it, your current stock motor is surely not a good candidate for boost. However, is it really "burning oil" or is it leaking out a VCG for example. I would suggest a compression test to see how that engine is doing before deciding on a new engine (DE or ZE).

Once you get those questions answered, we can go from there. And as RevZempoe above said, the ZE is fine for boost if you don't rush into it and tune things properly as there is a smaller window of error with the ZE's 10:1 compression than the DE's 9.2:1 compression.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Thank you ExtremeJDK. It's all about tuning. I'm not happy with my 8.5psi plot though and expect it to be more like 330-340whp next time I get back to the dyno.

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
It will more depend on your mechanical abilities and how much $ you have to invest. Are you sure it is burning oil from worn rings or just valve stem seals? After a long decel, does it smoke?

If you can rebuild the motor on your own, then you could probably get away for doing it under $250 (including special tools), but if you would be using a shop, then go for the ZE.

The thing with higer compression is it allows for less grey area in your tuning. Ask anybody who has tuned an RSX-S. The ZE is just as strong on the bottom as the DE, so you can expect similar numbers in the end...just using less boost.

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
Just stay away from 5th gear @ 120+ mph. The rods tend to give way under that amount of prolonged stress.

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
Valve stem seals...thus being a head problem and fixable on the car.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
inkfinity said:
yeah, i could rebuild it myself, but it'd turn into like a 12 month job..........trying to fit that into my busy life, i'd only get like maybe an hour a day to work on it.....i'd be happy w/ 7-9psi.....and Rev, what's all included in a turbo kit from MMI?

hotpipes/cold pipes, IC, turbo. (to be as generic as possible :) )

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:
7-9psi is attainable regularly on a ZE I believe when properly tuned.
I too want to tackle a turbo project (though I probably wont. I have better things to spend 4 grand on unfortunately)

I would be very happy with 5 psi on my ZE. Im not going for high boost numbers. How much horsepower could I expect on my ZE with 5 psi of boost, and what numbers would I get at the track?

Also, how much would you say it would cost me to do total if I went the route of an MMI turbo kit, from buying everything, to putting it in and tuning it so that it runs right?

Keep in mind, I already have a fpr, Walbro 255 fuel pump, and gauges. Everything else, I would need, including the ZE ECU.

I would be happy with 230 whp, and 220 ft/lbs of torque.

·
Registered
761 Posts
good question chris...I was wondering the same thing... i have the 190 fuel pump and the car is tuned with an SAFC.... I'm also interested in FI. I really don't wanna fry my ZE seeing as though it just hit the 40K mark tho. Would NOS be safer as far as prolonging the life of my ZE or boost? I also have the ECU upgrade, so I think im pretty safe. If NOS, what shot would you guys suggest? 50,75,100? I think i wanna go with a wet system, but I'm no expert at any of this...... Any suggestions u guys got will help me spank some top notch tuners.... (very, very few here in Okie dokie state)

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Do I need to re-do my sig? I figured the bright blue would make people look at my newer 275whp/242wtq @ 5.5psi numbers but I guess not. :help:

I only left the 268whp there because I had a detailed thread on it. I have a detailed thread on the 275whp one as well but it's over on PT where I went into timing adjustments in detail.

A turbo setup isn't $4k if you need to do it "on the cheap". The only part of my "kit" which was pre-fab'd was the hot pipes. I made my own intercooler piping, bought the turbo myself, bought the FMIC myself, bought the WG myself, bought th BOV myself, etc.

I was all set for fuel though as I already had a dual feed AFPR setup and modified rails for Nissan Injectors (currently I run SR20DET/300zxTT 370cc/min injectors).

Figure it this way.. think about your "ultimate goals" down the road and have every mod you ever do take that into consideration. This means that if you do an AFPR setup, I'd suggest dual feed. If you upgrade your fuel pump, why not go for the 255HP rather than the 190. If you get headers, maybe make sure they have a turbo hot pipe counterpart (ie: MMI, though their design is subject to change as they might be coming out with a new generation).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts