Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

turbo newbie

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  KING6 
#1 ·
Hey there

So me and any my buddy are turning the 6 into a track car just for fun. Got the Ebay turbo kit which came with 70 % of the stuff you need to get it running. As we're trying to get the items to get this turbo running, I find king6's step by step turbo install. The first thing to do, he says, before anything else is fuel pump upgrade to 255lph and bigger cc injector and get a megasquirt.

The turbo was already on its way and buying a megasquirt was out of the question. I've gutted Klze Intake manifold removed the egr valve, the Idle air control under the TB and charcoal canister. I didn't replace the fuel pump nor the injectors.

So we've got the turbo running... well kinda. It'll idle above 1000 rpm and it'll red line no prob in neutral as well as first gear. In second and third gear the turbo will spool up and start picking up speed but as soon as hits around 4000rpm the motor just stops responding and the blow off valve goes off.

So what do you guys think? opinion and suggestion. Is it the VAF (not enough air), not enough fuel, or is a computer thing (megasquirt).

#3 ·
I've gutted Klze Intake manifold removed the egr valve, the Idle air control under the TB and charcoal canister. I didn't replace the fuel pump nor the injectors.

around 4000rpm the motor just stops responding and the blow off valve goes off.

#5 ·
My guide was written up for the specific use of MS only, If you followed that but are not running MS then you will run into problems since thats the "brains" of your turbo setup.

If you just have a stock everything with an upgraded fuel pump, then you are not getting enough fuel. The stock system doesnt detect boost or accomade boost in anyway for fuel. So you need to find a way to add more fuel as boost comes. This is done with a FMU, it mechanically increases fuel pressure as boost comes , forcing the injectors to spray more fuel. You should also get a FPR so you can adjust the base fuel pressure to fine tune the amount of fuel your forcing thru so that your running a happy medium.

This is the cheapest option known, and its considered more of a "jimmy rig" in the car world. You can create alot of power this way, but its draw back is overfueling because it just forces a unmetered amount thru the injectors , and engine damage if the unit should fail or you go past its boost to fuel limits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.