Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the most wonderful car on the face of this planet!! A 1988 Mx6 GT in mint shape. One question...This is the first turbo I have had...I am wondering if it is normal to hear quite a whine from it. I dont think it made a whine quite as loud as it did today, yesterday...but then I am not used to it yet. I dont know what it would sound like of the bearings were going???

Any help Much appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
hey man, yeah, the '88 gt is a sexy ass car! i got one myself :)
i love it to death!

yeah, when you get into the higher rpms there is supposed to be a whine, thats your turbo doing its stuff, and pumping out the horsies so you can whoop some vtec ass :)

enjoy your car, and take care of it!

-meaty

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Well it depends on what you mean by a whine. If it's more of a whistling sound. Then that's cool. That's my favorite sound. But if it's whining, like a dying pig, then something might be wrong. How many miles are on this car?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
miles

It is more A whistle, but seems to be noisier than it has. Does the whistle vary from day to day? 108,000 miles

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I like to describe it as more of a

wwwwhhhhiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz psh

Welcome to the board. You made a great choice. I wouldn't worry about how it sounds. Just enjoy it. It may sound different from day to day but that could be attributed to many random things like outside temp or traffic noise. If something is wrong with your turbo chances are you will see, smell, or feel something wrong. Probably all three. :)

Hey, I think this is post #200 for me!

·
Registered
42 Posts
It may also be the turbo manifold bolts get loose after a while and the exhaust gas, instead of all of it going to the turbo it leaks where ever is loose and sounds like a high pitch whistling noise not like the actual turbo, cause thats what happens to mine ones in a while so i always check it every time i change the eng. oil.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
One comment on your sound. If the car feels like it has full power then it is most likely ok, if you feel it is loosing power or having sudden bursts of power then something is wrong. The whirring sound (as others have said) is your turbo doing it's job. All I can say is enjoy it, I love hearing mine. Dunno if the MX6 GT's came with BOV or not, but I have one on mine and I also love hearing that whoosh sound, kinda like a warning to stay the hell away from me, otherwise I'll suck you into my turbo!

"Quote": "yeah, when you get into the higher rpms there is supposed to be a whine, thats your turbo doing its stuff, and pumping out the horsies so you can whoop some vtec ass "

VTEC? What's that? Must be that little f*in Honda my T3/T4 just ate for breakfast!

Yeah, I said T3/T4, pushin 17psi, so ALL VTEC's better stay the hell away from me or my turbo WILL EAT your little car!

·
Registered
371 Posts
funny u say that

i have a 91 gtle and i have had a strange whiney woohy noise on my mx. the cars only done just 180000ks and it sorta boosts in 3 tiny stages . if its whiney then its finey if its woohy then its a booey.speaking of vtec hondas they r a credit 2 there makers but shorty after the purchase of my mx i had a drag or a rolling drag with one. it was a 4 door civic with vtec AND a turbo. it was the first ever done in my state. it woke me up tho that this thing was hanging with me but up beyon 4th gear and 5-6000rpm he was lost cos he only had a 1.8. any hows i am off to tender to my other toy. i bought a 95 nissan skyline 6 months ago and i am thinking of buying a new turbo kit for it and dropping the nissans turbo into my 6. tell ya what happens if i do.good 2 see u guys r all still in the message boards going hard. keep up the good work anarchy!
tom the tank engine.choo choo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts