Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I was wondering which is better a turbo or a supercharger?
Or can u combine the 2?
Like the supercharger goes until the turbo kicks in or simultaniuously or is that like nonsense?

Thanx

Janos

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Forced Induction forum is an appropriate place for this.

And, to answer your question(s)- IMO, Turbo is better. no particular reason for me, i just like turbos. You most likely will not end up doing both on a KL, there really is no point.

Adam

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I like turbos for imports, superchargers for Domestics, Turbos for DTMs. oh but just for clarification, there's a new Trans Am WS6 out where i live that has both turbo and supercharger. Since a supercharger is belt driven and the turbo is air driven, they both run at the same time. Its like the turbo is just put on a really really fast WS6...it seems like overkill on the KLZE tho...:shrug:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Without really getting indepth the basic ideas are very simple....
Turbo
-Exhaust driven (which leads to turbo lag since it takes time to "spool"
-Can spin REAL fast 200K rpms (which pushes tons of air adding tons of power.)

Supercharger
-Belt driven (turbine speed is related to engine speed. Instant power, no "turbo lag")
-Less speed (Can't spin as fast. Maybe along the lines of 80k rpms)

It ll really depends on what you are trying to do. What you want to car to feel like. To say that imports need turbos and domestics need S/Cs is flat out ignorant. Either can be used in either application. It's just about designing a proper setup. If you even think about thiws do research. There's far more involded then just a turbo. Can you supply enough fuel to keep the engine happy? Ho much strrain can the engines internals take? Can yuor ECU handle FI? Read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. It answers alot. www.howstuffworks.com has some nice simple stuff as well.

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
astrochimp said:
with the turbo..u have to deal with the added heat.

you can buy a belt driven supercharger to give you as much boost as you can afford
With a decent sized turbo, the heat won't be an issue. Combine turbo with intercooler and enough fuel, maybe some forged this and that in the engine and you'll have easily enough power to start breaking down gearboxes etc.

I won't say you can't do that with SC, because most certainly you can. Rafi (RR-Racing) is a good example of having real power out of a SC, but even he has forged stuff in his engine. Same goes with boost guru Joe Kamman and his PGT. Both machines kicks arses and rocks balls.

But from what I've seen, TC cars usually tend to have somewhat more power on the same boost. Also, I'm not exactly sure if everyone knows what they are wanting when they want instant boost - usually mentioned with superchargers. With my small turbo, the loss of traction was ALWAYS a problem when launching. With my T4, the power comes out smoother and it isn't that much of a stress to the engine either.

Just my 0.02 €uros. ;)

Mici

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Zoom Zoom- I never said it wasn't possible, I just said he probably wouldn't be doing both on a KL Engine. Too add one thing to my statement, though- He also won't be doing that on that stock probe/mx6 tranny.

Adam

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Plus with it being ATX, that's all the mor reason why it wouldn't hold up- not to mention all the extra room the tranny takes up- so even harder to fit all the pipeing.

Adam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts