Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turbo seems to be seized, or so that's what the mazda mechanic told me when I went to get it inspected.

Is it possible to rebuild a dead turbo ? Am I better off buying a new one (very $$$$$)? Is it better if I find one that is not OEM ? Like the HKS GT turbocharger.

The usage of my car is generally for street use, but I'd like some more power (Who doesn't?)

·
Registered
375 Posts
You can get it rebuilt, whatevers broken or seized can be replaced. If you by a new one expect to pay alot. If you decide to buy a new one, spend your money on an aftermarket turbo like HKS, Garret, Apex, etc. Just dont buy a ball-bearing turbo, those realy break the bank, and you cant rebuild them if something gos wronge.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Is it not very fast anymore? If it still runs darn good (fast), then that mechanic may be trying to milk you. You should be feeling a significant power increase from about 3200rpms on up!

I don't know where you are from, but there is a place called Majestic Turbos in Waco. I called them, they were real cool about it, they told me that so long as I called before I came (to make sure they could do it), they could rebuild and upgrade it for about $400 on up. AND, they'd let me watch and teach me some things. I've never had any auto-repair type person offer anything like that.

http://www.dallasturbo.com/

They gave me the number to the place in Waco. Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem is jiffy6969 my turbo doesn't boost at all.
I rev up the car to 4000-4500 RPM and nothing happens...
The turbo is really dead. And I was wondering if it would cost me a lot more buying an aftermaket turbo like an HKS than rebuilding the one I have...

Buy the way I live in Montreal, Canada... It's a long way from Waco, but thanks for the info. I may be there in spring. I could always take off with the turbo & have it repaired....

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you decide to upgrade your turbo be sure to adjust your fuel/air mixture. Very bad things I've heard could happen. Haven't done it personally.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MX6 Phantom GT said:
I rev up the car to 4000-4500 RPM and nothing happens...
The turbo is really dead.
Is this when you rev in netrual or when the car is actually under load? Point being, the car must be under load for the turbo to spool hard enough to create positive pressure. If the turbo is truly seized, then the car will feel VERY sluggish because of no forced air and the low compression pistons. The car will feel like it has no balls whatsoever.

[Edited by zakaron on 03-14-2001 at 04:05 PM]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car IS under load...
Tried it in first, second, third, fourth & fifth...
Nothing whatsoever. The car just revs up and I don't feel any boost...
I'm telling you, it's really dead. Need to change turbo...
But what is best in this situation: aftermarket more powerful (which model??) or just rebuild this one ????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.