Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i'm doing a lot of thinking about getting a custom turbo kit for my car. i already have a company that will make me the pistons, rods, bearings, etc... the pistons i can get oversized i think 1 or 2 mm's. if i did this i would have to bore out the cylinders obviously so that the new pistons would fit. now if this had to be done the displacement for the car would be completely different, changing it from a 2.5 L car to who knows maybe a 2.6 or 2.7 L engine. if this was to be done, would my computer have to be reprogrammed or something to get used the the new engine displacement etc...? or does that not matter whatsoever...i'm just curious about this, mike i'm sure you can answer this one.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
There are some folks here who are far more qualified to answer this based on the "been there, done that" maxim. Obnox (Allan) and Asword (Andrew) are two great examples, especially Allan who's got a turbo motor already built to those specs and running well.

If you were just rebuilding the motor, enlarging it to 2.7L, I'm quite certain the factory PCM would adjust fine. 2.9L might require an adjustable fuel pressure with slightly higher-than-stock rail pressure but the PCM should be fine.

If you start boosting it, you'll need additional fuel getting to the motor. FMUs and additional injectors are among the current KL03 trends since not much else exists: retrofitting larger injectors is tough because (a) they're scarce and (b) they're expensive if you can find them. Of course, you'll need a bigger fuel pump etc.

The factory PCM should be fine up to a MAP of 1-bar. Above that (i.e. when you're boosting), you'll need the supplemental fuel system (e.g. additional injectors) to give you the required extra gas. You might use a Hobbs switch to detect boost and switch on the injectors then or use a smarter 'box' that senses the amount of boost and varies the amount of fuel delivered.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts