Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone on hometurboturbo is selling a garrett .50 compressor bolted to an ihi exhaust housing(i think) from the pictures, the turbo looks like a striaght bolton to my manifold. has anyone tried this setup?

from his posting

"it has a IHI turbine and 02 housing, but the .50 AR compressor housing, wheels, and center is all Garrett."

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
btw...there are lots of IHI turbos....this person could be talking out of his ass and just meaning a Tbird Hybrid.

I say if you're going to change turbos...do it right and start with the manifold...:shrug:

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
well how about if you log on, use session length forever so we can see it....

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Probably a JGS hybrid. Its a T3 from a mustang stuffed into a machined stock mazda exhaust housing. mine is a .60 trim.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
why do all that work....why not just get a "real" T3, or even a T3/T4 Hybrid and just change to a log manifold and replumb the oil and coolant lines.....seems you'd get more of a return for about the same price, well to me anyways.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how much would cost to get a t3 or t3/t4 setup? i don't want to change manifold or weld the turbo onto the manifold. i just want to bolt it and get better gain from the stock turbo.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
well...JGS manifolds are what, around 130-150....you can usually pick up a rebuilt T3 at a turbo shop that someone didn't want to pay for the rebuild. I can get one right now for $250 (50trim T3 with a .48 AR turbine housing)...rerouting the lines isn't that expensive, and since the T3 is more than likely just oil cooled..you can plug the coolant line and then run braided oil lines. then of course there's the new piping that you need to get done, wideband dyno runs, maintenance on your intercooler, etc....so all in all...you could get a very nice T3 setup (and if you do most of the work yourself) for around $700 bucks. the 310cc injectors are good for about 250whp (have to verify this later). but very doable.

or you can go the easy route which requires minimal work, at get the Tbird hybrid and plug-n-play. though you won't get the results you'd see with a normal T3 setup....but it's something :)

I was going to go this route....but decided if i was going to do it....why hold back? just save my money and get it right the first time.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Im not a big fan of those hybrids. Like the others said, get a full garrett or do like me and get a holset.

Having a flange welded to a stock mani is no biggie. I can do it if you need...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts