Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 89 mx-6, it has a loud whine as i accelerate. i was told that this is possibly a bearing in the turbo unit going bad... im not famillar with this make of car, nor turbo at all.... so, im looking to you guys for some great answers.

information that may help in making a descision.....
considering the *whine* it also does this in neutral when i accelerate...

it also has a throwout bearing going bad... could it be this thats causing the whine?

also, with a turbo..... is there any additive i add to it? or is it a sealed unit?
stupid question maybe, but ive never owned one of the animals, so please bear with me.:)

also again.... the car does ok, ive had it to 70 mph a couple of times, put on a steep climb, it drags down to 40 or 45, downshifting doesnt help...

i realize this car has problems, but all in all i got a great deal on er.

another question..... there is loose play in the shifter, but thru several tries
it seems to have an extra gear between 3 and 5 other than 4,,,,

1-2-3-4-?-5-R...

is this correct, or is the loose play playing a trick on me?

when i go to this ? gear, it sounds as if it downshifts into 3rd... but does seem to gain power, whereas in 3rd it doesnt, best i can tell...

advice?

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
on my 89 mx-6, it has a loud whine as i accelerate. i was told that this is possibly a bearing in the turbo unit going bad... im not famillar with this make of car, nor turbo at all.... so, im looking to you guys for some great answers.

information that may help in making a descision.....
considering the *whine* it also does this in neutral when i accelerate...

it also has a throwout bearing going bad... could it be this thats causing the whine?
could also be the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft

also, with a turbo..... is there any additive i add to it? or is it a sealed unit?
stupid question maybe, but ive never owned one of the animals, so please bear with me.:)
no there isnt, its oil lubricated and water cooled, typically this is why synthetic oil is a good idea as it doesnt carbon up the oil passages....but I think the issues with using it have already been mentioned in another thread

also again.... the car does ok, ive had it to 70 mph a couple of times, put on a steep climb, it drags down to 40 or 45, downshifting doesnt help...
There is probably an air leak some where between the Air Flow Meter (on the air filter) and the Throttle body, check the hoses cracks and clamps for tightness

i realize this car has problems, but all in all i got a great deal on er.

another question..... there is loose play in the shifter, but thru several tries
it seems to have an extra gear between 3 and 5 other than 4,,,,

1-2-3-4-?-5-R...

is this correct, or is the loose play playing a trick on me?

when i go to this ? gear, it sounds as if it downshifts into 3rd... but does seem to gain power, whereas in 3rd it doesnt, best i can tell...

advice?
Sounds like your shifter bushings are also stuffed....theyre not an expensive part.

You should have posted this in the 1G general section :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks everyone for the advice...wasnt sure where to posts...what is the 1G mean?
is that where i need to post all questions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts