Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

What exactly does the difference between exhaust and intake turbines mean? Like do you want them to be the same, or one bigger than the other??? A/R means what exactly?

Also, I was looking at getting a T3 and was hoping for between 300hp and 350hp from a FE3... what sort of trim would I be looking at? I would rather understand exactly what these numbers mean though, rather than just quote a bunch of numbers and not know what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
Tripharn

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76369
Try that link, it is a thread a few down from this one in which FallGuy mentions what to expect from say a .60/.63 T3 (i.e. the t-bird turbo). I know what they mean, but don't fully understand what the #'s mean. Maybe someone can explain it for us :)

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, that is the post I read, that gave me the idea.

I didn't want to hi-jack the thread so I started this one. Besides that, it didn't make a great deal of sense, it sounded as if he got 300hp and 400hp on the same turbo, but he was talking as if they where different.

Tripharn

·
Registered
251 Posts
the ratio meaning.. taking a stab in the dark here..me thinks its the percentage of the wheel filling the housing.

without the wheel theres 100% housing space

.63...63% the wheel takes up.
37% area left in the housing

whether it be a big or small turbo they can still be .63 a/r

this maybe wrong but least i had a go
:D

·
Registered
642 Posts
i think it has something to do with the radius from the centre of the compressor wheel to the outside edge of the compressor wheel and the radius from the centre of the compressor wheel to the outside edge of the compressor housing. and there is some sort of ratio involved......i shall research this topic further.

and as m4isrob said, u can have different sized turbos with the same a/r, as it is a ratio.

edit:
A/R =The Area / Radius ratio
A = Area of throat at intake
R = radius of scroll in the housing of either the compressor or exhaust turbine.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Please bear in mind that I know very little on turbos other than the basics... BUT coming from an aviation background, A/R is aspect ratio which is the 'feathering' of the propeller/impeller.

Thus 0 being completely parallel to the air flow and 1 being completely perpendicular. The ratio gives an ideal perfect efficency of the wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts