Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rebuilding my stock turbo as it was my last spare. lol.

heres the issue, hell if i can get the exhaust housing off of the center section.
just wont budge.

any tips or tricks pls. thanks.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I usually take a rubber mallet and pound it off, alternating sides, as to not damage the turbine wheel. If that won't work for you, there's always a shop that can separate the two for you. Usually it involves lots and lots of heat :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they would just heat the exhaust housing up with a torch? cause i have access to one. if that would work ill try that.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
yes, then use something to knock it loose.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ill give that a shot. let you know if it works.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
What about heating it up and tapping it all around with a regular hammer? Just not enough force to damage anything.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to late, stepfather decieded to help, cracked the center housing.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
i wish i would have thougt of using a rubber mallet on mine. I just used some PB blaster a ball peen hammer from craftsman. I left some dents where the hammer contacted but luckily nothing bad happened. Next time i do a turbo i'm using a dead blow or a rubber mallet as said.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
now i just need a good center section thats seperated from the exhaust housing. i got another blown turbo.....hopefully i can have my maintenance guys at work get that one apart., if not then i guess its time to do a t-bird upgrade or more, pity since i got the rebuild kit waiting to put in.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
I told u about the rubber mallet. :)
i wish i would have thougt of using a rubber mallet on mine. I just used some PB blaster a ball peen hammer from craftsman. I left some dents where the hammer contacted but luckily nothing bad happened. Next time i do a turbo i'm using a dead blow or a rubber mallet as said.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I told u about the rubber mallet. :)
i did try the rubber mallet but gave up within the first 2 mins. All that was happening was it was bouncing off the steel. Thats when i said fuck it and tried brute force. Which worked, so yes you TOLD ME but didn't inform me how hard that bastard was gonna be on. I still haven't balanced that thing yet. Mostly haven't had the money as of late.

But after the motorcycle tires i'm going back to the turbo build. I'll always spend my money on some other project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts