Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
I don't know what kind of Turbo Timer it is, but if it is the Greddy the red wire is power, the blue wire is acc and the green wire is on. On our car the power wire is the solid black wire, the accessory is Black w/ Red, and the 'on' is the Black w/ White.

Not sure if that will you help you much, but that's all I have left from my install...

·
Registered
283 Posts
acc is the area between on and off ... how much experiance do you have with car electronics... you might be better off having someone else install it for you becaue messing with the ignition isnt really a good thing for beginers

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Oh, its easy to wire something to the ignition. I know he can handle hooking up a couple wires.

Sorry i dont have more info for the turbo timer, but i do have a question.
May sound silly but i dont know what a turbo timer actually functions. Could someone explain?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
most ppl use it to keep the engine running after they leave the car for like 30 seconds or more to let the turbo cool right???

u can get some data from the ECU too but not sure if thats the main point

·
Registered
572 Posts
No, the ACC wire is the Black W/ Red, The 'On' is the Black W/ White, you just splice Black W/White wire into the green wire.

It really isn't hard to install at all. Looked a lot harder then it actually was...

And yeah, the Auto Timer basically cools the engine oil down by allowing you to remove the key, walk away, and your car will remain idling for 10 seconds up to 1:30 seconds in increments of 10, then it will shut the car off. It also adjusts itself based on how hard you've been driving...

I only installed it because I got it for free and I like the fact that when I go to car show I can walk away with the car running and people think I'm boosted. :D

Call me a ricer, I don't care... I <3 my auto timer. lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nobody has actually said WHY the oil ends up boiling...

As I understand it... If you drive your car hard, your turbo heats up because it's being run harder. When you turn your car off, oil stops being pumped throughout your engine and turbo, so whatever oil is in your turbo at the time, is subject to the heat of your turbo and isn't pumped away and replaced with cooler oil, therefore it boils. Using a turbotimer alows your car to continue running and cycling oil throughout the engine and turbo while the turbo cools down to a temperature where it'll nolonger boil oil if it's not cycled.

And a turbotimer allows you to quickly duck into pick up fish & chips without having to turnoff your car for 30 seconds.

·
Registered
283 Posts
the idea is with a automatic turbo timer is the harder the car is ran the longer it runs when the key is removed because when a turbo gets hot from boosting it practically turns the oil into a sludge which if left in the turbo can cause it to sieze. not to mention its a lot easier on the car to leave it running for about a min or 2 to left the fluids cool even on just a hot 90 degree day or even a warm day filled with driving... but yea ... just depends on a lazyness thing depending on the application. i had a friend with a eclipse and a failry big turbo and h had to sit in his car for atleast 10 minutes to let it cool before he would shut it off... and i dont know anyone that would want to sit in their car for 10 minutes in a parkinglot

1 - 14 of 14 Posts