Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 MX6 GT with t-bird uprade already on it. I want more. Any suggestions? I found Tom Knight's site, but WebTV won't let me go to the upgrade page, which is where I wanna go. So, if anyone can offer me some good ideas let me know. I have heard of an exhaust manifold that will let me bolt on a t3/t4, but then I end up spending over $1000 for both. That's a little too much for me, and will be too much for a while. I have heard a T3 will bolt right on, but would like to get the biggest/best I can that will still bolt right on. Thanks for the help.

G

·
0 Posts
There's a company that uses your current turbo and it's the stage 2. The stage 3 uses the turbo off the Ferrari F-40. This stage 3 setup costs $810. The company is Turbo Specialties in Birmingham, Alabama their phone number is 205-444-5011. You can find more info on this page http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/1989/mx6/mx6turbo.html . The guy on the site has a very clean looking MX-6 GT too.

Gomer

·
Registered
113 Posts
No TKT

I'll tell you right now not to get the TKT turbo. It is a piece of shiet. I've got before and I hate it. Not good at all. I could say more, but this is to warn you. I've told others, some didn't now they know!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
want one?

I've got an T3/T4 turbo that I don't need anymore. It's only been used for like 2 runs. Turbo is not good enough for me. It's still a little too small for me. So I've gotten me a bigger one. This bolt's right on to the manifold with an adapter that I've got also. If you want it, I'm looking at $750 for it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dex, it isn't necessarily putting the turbo on the motor that is difficult, that is easy, it is everything else. If you go turbo, you would need different fuel pump, injectors, ECU work, boost control, intercooler, piping for the I/C. There is a lot of stuff involved with doing that. your best and cheapest route is to get a donor car with good engine and electronics. That way you can swap parts off it onto yours and you should have everything you need in the donor car, right there ready to be swapped out. If you still wanna do it, go for it, I am just letting you know how much is involved, so you don't go and buy the turbo and manifold and then find out about all the other stuff.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
cool thanx. So it is possible to turbo the n/a. Best news i've heard all week, under the impression that it wasn't possible, so if i wanna do it, and get a donor car, does it have to be the same year, or is it ok if it is just any 1st gen:cool:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a touchy one. I would say any year, but there are some things I have heard of that are different. I believe temp sensor and thermostat is one. Also, you may need the instru. cluster also, I think the temp gauge is gonna be a prob. I read about that somewhere on a post on here. Now, I have never done an actual N/A to turbo swap before, as for how hard it is and what all is invlolved I really can't say, but it is definately possible. A guy around here picked up a '89 MX6GT for $500. Car is driveable to, but looks like a rolling disaster area. Under the hood it is great though, so he got a steal. Ask around and other members, I am sure they can offer better advice, and probably some experience too, I would assume.

G

·
0 Posts
non turbo to turbo?

I have the same problem and question. What is involved, needed in order to make a non turbo mx-6 turbo? I have found a salvage yard in my area with GTs and I want the turbo for my LX. Im sick and tired of losing to z24s, vtecs, v6s. Im in the need for speed. Can anybody help?:(

·
Registered
449 Posts
I currently mid stream in the conversion from DX to GT (yes whole nine yards, not just the engine). I can tell you it is a lot of stuff to do.

I purchased so far (just engine stuff):

1) Long block assembly from 1990 Ford probe GT (makes this list A LOT shorter)
2) Turbo from 1989 MX6 GT
3) I/C pipes from 1989 MX6 GT
4) Intercooler from 1989 MX6 GT
5) Manual Transaxle from 1990 For Probe GT
6) Clutch & flywheel from 1990 Ford Probe GT
7) Knock sensor controller from 1989 MX6 GT
8) Mid-axle from 1990 Ford Probe GT
9) New CVs/halfshafts from A1 Cardone (cores from 1990 Ford Probe GT)
10) Master & slave clutch cylinder from 1989 MX6 GT
11) Engine & emission & front dash harness (yes that is 3 DIFFERENT harnesses needed, for the engine) from 1989 MX6 GT
12) Refurbed Distributor for a 1990 Ford Probe GT
13) Tranny & engine mounts from Mazda dealer
14) Ignitor and ignition coil from 1989 MX6 GT
15) EGR Purge solenoid from 1989 MX6 GT
16) Misc other solenoids from 1989 MX6 GT
17) Atomspheric pressure sensor from 1989 MX6 GT
18) Secondary fan (needed unless you have a ATX n/a) from 1989 MX6 GT
19) Shit load of Relays from 1989 MX6 GT
20) BOV from 1989 MX6 GT

That's all I can think right now. Buying the whole engine assembly saves loads of time. I've spent about $600 on these used parts. Just for the engine! I got a good deal on the drive/power train for $400. I was lucky to find a awesome guy on eBay that was parting his son's GTs (the guy had two) and gave me great prices. So this is the cheap side. Now most of the stuff are cores. I still need to replace/rebuild a bunch of parts.

The powersteering, brakes, abs (if you want it, this one is a toughy i'll tell you talk about rare!), logicon, suspension (sway bars etc), 4ws (even more rare than abs, i have to say that this option is near impossible to implement by yourself, I've seen the schematics) are a complete different issue. Yes it is a possiblity, almost nothing is impossible. Buying the stuff is the easy part...putting it together without knowing how it all fit is the hard part. All of my stuff came in parcels.

I'm sorry if this sounds discouraging, but is the truth. Buying a GT is probably cheaper and easier. However when you do a conversion, parts are probably going to be new/rebuilt. The GT you buy would not be a good deal in that case, at least IMHO. Also you need to account that I do most of the rebuilding myself, except the turbo and possibly the tranny (too lazy) which reduces costs dramatically.

I have a lot of time on my hands and I like doing projects like this. People are not joking that it is a complicated task. But that is if you want stock. Honda Civics are turboed everyday. The GTs from the factory are engineered to last years, the aftermarket turbos for civics are expected to survive for only a couple years.

Tell you what though...you get to know this car like the back of your hand!!! :D

To set record straight...the fuel pumps are the same I have a part number to verify. However I have a Supra TT pump so who cares.

Does matter what year. 88-89 have different electrical wiring and sensors versus the 90-91 years, 92 is also a bit different from the other 4. Good simple example are the injectors. I have a 89 set and 90 set from GTs. Denso redesigned them and changed the eletrical connectors in 90. Intake mainfold and apparently the head are different as well.

Anyway if you decide to convert, power to you. If you have any question feel free to email me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
not as hard as u think

the chang over is not as hard as u think.and the t3t4 is a great turbo hell i was running a t3 and ran [email protected] with minor upgrades. racingmazda.com can help $450 for tub manifold for t3t4. ric is opening a new shop called race redi in san antonio and can help with every mazda fron 323 to miata.give hi, a call for help 210-3817425.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Panther37 said:
How much do you think it would cost to upgrade a GT to 4ws?
You cant really. The rear subframe, rear supension, fuel tank, and a whole bunch of other shit, including the shape of the rear unitbody. Then you're talking about wiring, hydraulic lines, etc.. God I wouldnt want to even imagine doing this.

·
Registered
449 Posts
yeah 4ws is impossible to install without incurring a huge amount of debt.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hey 88MX6GT,

After you replace your T-bird, would you be interested in selling it? If so, how much would you want for it? How many miles are on it?

Thanks
(I sent this to you via Private Message also.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts