Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the average life expectancy (miles) of the average turbo in a 1st Gen. MX-6 GT??

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mine's up to 192k, but you gotta take care of it well.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Mine boosts good and doesnt make wierd noise, but it leaks oil. Probably cause I use synthetic.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ditto for me on the good boost and leakage with synthetic.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Same Here!

Good boost - little leaking - I use synthetic. Over 138,000 miles on it. Is it better to not use synthetic?

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you don't your engine probably won't last as long. You gotta take it up the A$$ one way or another : )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, What can you do to stop the leaking from it?? Anything besides rebuilding it??

·
Registered
287 Posts
Let the car warm up for at least 5 minutes, or till normal operating temperature. Let the car sit at idle at LEAST 30 seconds before shutting it off, I usually let it sit for 2 minutes after highway runs. Take it easy when you first take off, let the turbo get used to spinning. Thats all I know from driving. The times have to do with the oil in the turbo circulating. Also, use at least 91 octane gas to keep the emissions system in fine tune (it will also create less knock on cold starts).

[Edited by rmtaylor on 03-09-2001 at 10:09 AM]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Is that like 165000 miles?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
MattDogg said:
What are somethings you have to do to keep it well maintained?
Dont drive hard until the car's warmed up. after driving hard or on the highway for a while, let the car idle for 30-60 seconds to allow the turbo centersection bearing to cool down (if you look under the hood after driving on the highway, you'll see that your turbo is glowing). Change the oil at least every 3,000 miles, and dont use shit oil. You dont have to go synthetic since it's crazy expensive, but at the least get a good semi-synth oil (Mobil drive-clean blend, valvoline, etc.).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts