Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend owns a 1987 Mazda B-2000 pickup with a 2.0 liter, 5 speed.
He is wondering if there is any way he can put a turbo system from a mx6 on the truck, and if so where can you pick one up?

Thanx for reading this, and if you can help at all please speak up!!!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yep he can... the turbo, if i'm not mistaken, should actually bolt right up. He;ll have to find external plumbing for the oil and water lines to/from the turbo tho... also he'll have to install a fuel injection intake manifold from an FI pre 88' 626 on there and make custom intercooler pipes, as well as wire the truck with the GT ECU.... he'll also need a custom exhaust. Lots of work involved but it can be done with enough time and money... then what he'll have is a 2.0, 8-valve turbo b2200

·
Registered
854 Posts
He;s actually better off bolting a GT engine in there... but using the 8-valve head with the pre-'88 626 intake manifold on there... unless he can find an intake for the 12 valve head that goes over the rocker cover rather than into the firewall... he'll also have to swap the b2000's RWD oil sump pickup onto the GT engine. Another idea is to use the 16-valve head from a Kia sportage as that is also RWD and configured correctly for that application.... ***OR*** he can use the 12 valve head, swap the distributer over to the front of the engine with the b2000 parts and use the Kia intake manifold on the 12-valve head.... however the latter would require you to gasket match the ports and drill a few holes to make it work. HTH peas

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Will this really fit?? As the mx6 is fwd and the b2000 is RWD. Wont the turbo sit in the wrong place as the fwd turbo setup will sit too low ??

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
FWD vs RWD has nothign to do with it. Our beloved MX-6/TX5/Probe motor is based on the 2.0 which first showed up in the rear wheel drive 626 of the late 70's. That motor from long ago spawned all the motors which ended up in all 626s and Telstars til '92, the B2000 and B2200 trucks, and our 88-92 MX-6s and the variants of those cars. People have put our motor in those trucks before, and also in Miatas.

It will fit. My friend has a B2200 and he's also thinking of putting in an MX6 GT motor. We parked his truck by my car and looked carefully at both of them for a long time. It (the turbo set up) will definitely fit easy. Problem is the MX6 distributor would not fit in the truck, becuase the back of the B2200 motor is up against the fire wall. On the B2200, the distributor is on the front near the timing belt. So you'd have to use the 8-valve head and distributor on the MX-6 motor. I wouldn't put the turbo on the truck motor, it wasn't meant to be turbo'd. You need a MX6 GT motor to convert to 8-valves. Talk about going backward to go forwards!
Cool thing about the MX-6 motor is it already has the holes drilled to mount either sideways or longitudinally. I also believe you could use a first generation RX-7 bell housing and transmission, as I'm definitely sure people have put the RX-7 transmission in the stock B2000 and B2200 before. This way you'd get rid of the truck gearing. If he want's to go all out he could use the RX-7 rear axle and Limited Slip Differential.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
What I meant for FWD vs RWD was in relation to the exhaust manifold. I think there would be some custom fabrication required here as the exhaust system on a FWD passes under the engine while on a rwd to passes backward. I think the exhaust manifold would also need to be changed as it is setup to sit low at the front of the engine, compared to rwd setups where the turbo usually sits higher. Just my 2c

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
There's a lot of room in the B2*** engine compartments, so I still think the MX6 turbo setup will fit without a different manifold. I may be wrong though. You're right about needing some exhaust fabrication.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I was working on putting an FE3 in a b2200... they manifolds will fit just fine... just at the flange, the rest of the pipe goes 'sideways' as opposed to under that pan... either way, geta custom front pipe (whole xhaust recommended)/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there any way I can put the turbo on with out making it fuel injected? I would like to put the turbo on as simple and as cheep as possible. Otherwise I want to put a header on it. If any one could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
chances are he could make it a turbo carb' but it would be just as expensive :) & troublesome

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What kind of problems might I have with making it turbo with the electronic carb. other wise if I have to make it fuelinjected I need the computer right? if so how hard is it to put it in? Or should I just put the header on it? Any help will be greatly apperciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts