Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys....the choices are turbos, nos and the klze engine...which would be worth the money? the engine for 36 more horses (does it give you any more low end torque?), NOS which my friend that owns a shop will sell me for 2 grand (can't nos be dangerous? ie. explosion?), or turbos? (my friend was telling me something about turning your car off after using the turbo can wreck it??) I don't know too much about the performance section of cars...and I know some of you guys on this board are genius' compared to me =)
so if you guys could help me out on deciding which one would be worth my money it would help! thanks! I have an automatic 93 LS just so ya know! later!

G

·
mx-6 LS said:
which would be worth the money? the engine for 36 more horses (does it give you any more low end torque?), NOS which my friend that owns a shop will sell me for 2 grand (can't nos be dangerous? ie. explosion?), or turbos? (my friend was telling me something about turning your car off after using the turbo can wreck it??) I don't know too much about the performance section of cars
ZE: The KL-ZE has....how torque does a ze have???

NOS: for 2 grand?

Turbo: Thats what turbo timers are for right?

later.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
im gonna be runnin about 200hp of NOS sometime around summer 2001. but im not gonna pay anywhere near 2G's for it. its gonna be about $600 for the hardware and another $100 for the bottle. if hes chargin you 2 grand hes probly not your friend. just a thought. also thats on a built engine. on a stock engine you cant run more than 100 HP and you cant hit it below 2KRPM or above 6KRPM unless you wanna know what its like to see your cylinder heads fly thru your hood. its also not very nice to cast pistons. itll reduce the life of your engine every time you hit it. as for turbo, just wait about 20-30 secs before you shut off the car. this is called a cool down period. but once again, youre running this on stock pistons, you wont be able to run that much boost. if you run more than you should, you will drastically shorten the life of your engine. engines that have turbos stock have a much lower compression ratio and have heat treated tops to reduce wear. the engine...well theres not much to the engine, just the bonus HP. as for the money, NOS will give you more bang for your buck (unless youre gettin it from youre 'friend'). as for reliability, take the engine. if youve got money to burn then build your own engine. itll allow you to shoot big nos or bolt on a fat turbo.

G

·
Hmmmm I would suggest a turbo. I am running NOS right now and you just cant get enough of it. At least a trubo you will have no worries in running out. And I am running two bottles in my setup already. I still run out. Anyways go turbo, you will not regret it, I am planning it already. BTW NOS does not cost 2grand. I have two bottles with purge and I am way under 1 grand. Hmmm great friend....

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
ICE said:
And I am running two bottles in my setup already. I still run out. Anyways go turbo, you will not regret it, I am planning it already. BTW NOS does not cost 2grand. I have two bottles with purge and I am way under 1 grand. Hmmm great friend....
if you dont mind me askin, how big are your bottles, where did you mount them, and what shot are you running?

·
Registered
48 Posts
KL-ZE: if you are in an area with emissions testing (or which might be getting it soon), then you won't want this option. The Japanese engines don't have the required emission controls for North America. There also might be issues getting parts for it here.

NOS: $2K? Under $1K is more like it. Can be a little hard on the engine, and be sure to sort out your fuel delivery solution. Refilling the bottle is probably a hassle, and you have to turn it on rather than just mash the throttle (unless you get a throttle switch, but they you only get juice when you totally floor it).

Turbo/SC: lotsa money and be prepared to turn your car into an ongoing project. If you go turbo you'll be tuning and tweaking your car forever. Reliablity is an issue due to under hood heat and the increased power. Power is always available and at all throttle settings (rather than just WOT). Intoxicating. I certainly have no regrets going turbo, but I'd hate to see somebody go into it without understanding the scope of what they are attempting.

G

·
if you dont mind me askin, how big are your bottles, where did you mount them, and what shot are you running? [/B][/QUOTE]

Sure no problem, they are mounted on each side of the trunk. I might move them later. they are the 10 pound bottles. I am running a 46NOS with 32 bypass, should equate to about 95 shot? Something like that.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
since i havent hooked up my NOS yet, i dont know much about it. whats bypass? how is that different from your main shot? (or is that your main shot?) do you have an arm switch or is it throttle activated?

G

·
No problem.....the bypass is what raises your fuel pressure and the main shot is what shoots into your intake. Basically the lower the bypass number the higher the fuel pressure and the higher shot number the more the nitrous. You change the bypass according to the shot cause you WILL want more fuel when you shoot a higher shot.

I have the NOS setup as throttle activated. When I meash the throttle it activates the NOS. There is also a switch where I have to turn the system on. What shot are you planning to buy? Do you have a 4 cylinder for a 6?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts