Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***twin turbo, has it been done***
ive been working with a friend trying to develope a dual turbo setup for his PGT but he dosnt want to do it to his car. Its the same idea that the big 8's use to get like 2000hp. just that im using two much smaller turbos. if my lone goes threw so can get the car, im guna try it. Nuthing to loose by trying.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, when I get an MX-6, I WILL have twin turbo, if I gotta use my ass-exhaust gasses to power it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It has been done before I've seen pictures of it and read about it. There used to be a web page some guy from Quebec that had a red MX-6 and he'd TT'd it. This was about 3 or 4 years ago I was looking at it, I'd definatley say one of the earlier modded MX-6's and the guy who inspired me to start on mine! He did sell his car though so I'm not sure if you will still be able to find it. Sorry I don't have it book marked anymore but I know it can be done. Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A twin turbo 4cyl. or V6 isn't really neccessary. One turbo should be enough. Besides, 2 turbos might push too much air, you would spend a whole lot more upgrading the engine to handle that much pressure than you want to. Even on the newer RX7s with the sequential twin turbos, an upgrade consists of a single turbo. I have friends that race RX&s on the 1/4 mile and autocross.

·
Registered
283 Posts
For the record, Michel had a single turbo in his red mx-6 not TT. No one has a twin turbo setup in an mx6 or probe before and never will.... Why? Because there is no dramatic improvement over just a single turbo setup. SO why pay almost twice as much? Plenty of people have converted their stock TT to single or re-configured their TT to operate in parallel mode, but not the other way around.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well said 1bad.

·
Registered
488 Posts
There was indeed a twin turbo ZE out at one time. It was a custom job by Mazda for one of the 24 hour races. Close to 500hp but obviously the internals were swapped and strengthened. The block will handle that much but not the parts in it.:0 As for a street going version, never heard of anyone actually putting one on. And unless you have lots of money to build up the internals for outragous amounts of boost it is not necessary.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Actually a twin turbo would be better. Having a turbo for each bank of our V6 would let us beter keep track and balance the boost. Why do you think the Nissan 300ZX and most NSX's, and Vettes are twin turbo'd?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I didn't say that it can't be done. I said that no one individual has the setup in his/her car. Just because TKT produced it doesn't mean that people will shell out 7-9 grands for it.

I can't really dispute about the advantage of twin turbo on high HP engines. But on our engine, the TT setup is just way overkill. If you have the $$$ then do what you like. Realistically, none of us will ever be driving around a 300whp probe/mx6/626, period. A uniturbo setup will easily be good for 350+ whp in case that you can overcome the limitations of the bottom end, VAF, cams, and drivetrain.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with 1Bad. Like I said, I have friends that race RX7s in drag and Autocross, and one of the upgrades to the sequential Twin Turbos RX7s consist of going from the 2 Turbo setup to a single setup.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The only reason 'racers' of RX-7's go to a single turbo unit is because it will be driving fast all of the time. It takes longer for a single larger turbo to spool up, but once it does... watch out. Mazda designed the twin-turbo set up to give the RX-7 some needed "umph" in the lower rpms. Unless seriously modified, a RX-7 lacks alot of torque down low. By the way, having a twin turbo setup does not push any more air in than a single turbo does. If you run them in parallel, one turbo is dedicated to each bank (in a V6 application such as ours). They both push the same psi to each bank (better controll than hoping the intake will evenly distribute the newly forced air into the engine) Such as what was done with the Nisian 300 ZX. If you run the sequentially (RX-7, Skyline, 3000GT) the idea is to have a smaller turbo to give you some torque down low and either another turbo kicks in or takes over completely. That's why your racer friends go w/ a single turbo... they don't need idle-4000 RPM touque or hp.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i apreciate all the coments. Its more hits than i thaught id get!! I plan to build an MX6 for racing and an acasionall trip to lhe local crooz night. and thats the reason for TT. With the two turbos i plan to use i can do some miner changes to the impeller and tey will spool faster then any single turbo. The reason for that is the piping, a single turbo requires a lot of bends thus causing more resistence and slower spool times. With two turbos they can be bolted right to my custome made headers and then looped up into the intake. The only problem is making a special intake manifold with two small subaru style intercoolers. The TT setup is much more safer to use actually. You have much more controle over the iar flow and with a good gage and tubo timer/boost controle setup you can push your car right to the limit with much more acurate boost controle.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
1bad_mx6 said:
Realistically, none of us will ever be driving around a 300whp probe/mx6/626, period.
thats not very realistic, but okay...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I saw quite a few race cars at the Gainesville Raceway today with dual turbo setups. And, alot of them were using one intercooler for both turbos. But, alot of them were also running water cooled intercoolers too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts