Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to go fast in my mx-6.I was looking at the twin turbo package and was wondering is it worth it,or just a waste of money,does anyone have this kit or know someone who does. Or what other perfomance mods could I do that would improve my speed.

hotshot intake
17 konig monsoon's

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Michael Lutz said:
I really want to go fast in my mx-6.I was looking at the twin turbo package and was wondering is it worth it,or just a waste of money,does anyone have this kit or know someone who does. Or what other perfomance mods could I do that would improve my speed.
Overkill, IMHO. Unless the motor is strengthened internally substantially, you'll never really get the benefits that a twin turbo can give.

The most reliable power you'll get from a KL03 V6 with a blower and stock internals is 230HP at the wheels while running something like 7-10PSI boost. Even then, it's close to the edge as far as the pistons, rods and gasket sealing goes. The turbo that gets this level of power on this car can be quite small and so doesn't really suffer from severe lag.

A twin turbo setup could, in theory, spool up faster because it uses smaller turbos (though they would only be driven from 3 cylinders each...) and might heat the air less but you can't shove much more air into the cylinders than a single, larger turbo being driven off all 6 cylinders if the engine is stock internally: it won't take it.

IMHO, the extra plumbing required, trying to get it to fit etc wouldn't be worth it. With 230HP at the wheels from a single turbo setup, you'd have a low- to mid-13-sec MX6, and probably find yourself in the fastest 1 or 2% of all MX6s around. Build the motor up, go to a larger turbo (or consider twin's then) and the sky is the limit.

FWIW, most of the major upgrades to twin turbo cars like the Supra and RX7 involve removing the twin setup and going with a single (much) larger turbo. Of course, this tends to hurt driveability but peak power goes through the roof :)

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Michael Lutz said:
What would i have to do to build up the engine as you said?
It depends on what you want, how much money you've got and how much you are willing to spend.

Let's say you want to be able to run 15PSI all day. That would put you (guessing) close to 280 crank HP assuming all parts are right (e.g. intercooler capacity, compressor/turbine sizing, A/R ratio etc) and the fuel is there.

To do that reliably, you'd have to:
- source forged pistons with 8.0:1 or so
- upgrade the connecting rods
- do something about the open-deck (e.g. block guard?)
- think about improving the KL03s oil-squirters for better piston cooling
- consider O-ringing the deck for
oil pump upgrades (if possible) along with a cood cooler etc

The crank is pretty strong as is, but the pistons and rods will need help to live reliably over 10PSI. Note that I've used the term "reliably' several times. I know of one fellow who boosted his internally-stock 626 KL03 to over 12PSI and it lived. That was on the dyno and AFAIK, he didn't boost on the street like that. He's since gone on and built a stroker '03 and is boosting to 18PSI using what was Fortier's stroker kit. That will be a scary car to see. He should be in the 12s if the transaxle and half-shafts survive :)

Of course, with that kind of power an open differential isn't an option: you'll need an LSD to put it down to the ground. Look to spend a bunch on that plus installation. There's the requisite clutch upgrade too.

"How fast do you want to go?"
"How much money do you have?"

Think about leaving the guts of the engine alone and boosting to, say, 9PSI. You'd still have one of the fastest daily-driven MX6s around and will have saved thousands. And if you blow the engine, KL03s are abundant and pretty cheap :)

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Well, I'm not really in a position to recommend so much as I am just throwing some things into the ring for you to think about. I tend to err on the side of practicality and economy (though I'd love to be able to blwo big-bucks on a killer '03...)

If the economics point toward a single turbo or super, then sure, give TKT a call. They've got a ton of experience and sell complete kits that are almost turn-key.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey,michael lutz
Before you order any kit make sure that u find someone to install.Don't forget to ask them how much up front,u would be surprised how prices change.Make sure that they are professionals,self install is not as easy,as"mr knight" make's it sound.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What about the 'ZE

I am definately an amature when it comes to boosting performance, but why hasn't anyone suggested the ZE. Starting out at 200hp instead of 165 seems like a good idea, besides, you'll spend way less on a ZE than on any twin turbo package. If 200 is not enough, and of course it is not, work form there, add an intercooler, a turbo or a squirt of Nitrous and see if you need any more.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
It's true that the ZE has a better manifold overall for breathing, but there are a couple of other concerns:

First, the ZEs reciprocating assembly (pistons, rods etc) to the best of my knowledge isn't any stronger than the KL03. Thus, from a mechanical-limits point of view, it's not inherently capable of running any more boost than the '03.

Second, the ZE has a higher compression ratio of 10:1, compared to the 03s 9.2:1. While this is normally considered "good" for normally aspirated engines, it's not really good for forced induction. Higher static compression increases the tendency to knock and this effect is compounded almost exponentially on blown engines. This will also limit the total boost one can run on a ZE to lower than that on an 03. Certainly, with the higher compression, the ZE may make the same power at, say, 5PSI as the 03 will at 6 or 7, but the ZE will be much closer to the limit of detonation.

If the '03 is healthy, I'd stick with it for a turbo application. If you're going to build it internally, it would be nice to find a ZE manifold to bolt on to the long block.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey,mike 94pgt
How do feel about Venom's VCN-2000 computerizied nitrous system?Some good headers,trotle body,hotshot cold pipe,not exceed a 50 shot,a pair off good nitto drag radials.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
mx6this said:
hey,mike 94pgt
How do feel about Venom's VCN-2000 computerizied nitrous system?Some good headers,trotle body,hotshot cold pipe,not exceed a 50 shot,a pair off good nitto drag radials.
I'm not a fan of nitrous in general (way too easy for something to go drastically wrong) but I very much like the idea of a nitrous system with brains and the ability to "stage" it with percent-increases as needed and to monitor the O2 sensor and adjust fuel as needed. I like the idea (quite interesting) of pulsing the fuel injectors separately from the PCM doing it for enrichment as well. Seems like a well thought out system.

That's a pretty complete combination you list there and if done right, should net you mid 13-second 1/4s (guess).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts