Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the 'two - stage themostat' is really required for the 89 mx-6? My local Autozone and NAPA both have the single valve part in their computers - when I show 'em my old one - all I get is bewildered looks.

1) Can I use one of these single types?
2) If not, where do you get a two-state?

Thanks!

-Martin

·
Registered
449 Posts
the dual stage is only available at the dealer. It costs $27 (themostat and gasket) with tax.

The singles will work it seems (my wrecked car did) however the car will never get up to the proper temperature. The guage will show that the engine is only halfway warmed up (when the engine is warmed all the way, the guage needle should be centered).

·
Registered
666 Posts
I warped a head from my car getting too hot. I never even knew. I don't know that it was because of the single stage thermostat, but, I'm not taking any chances. I'd go ahead and cough up the extra if I were you. Mazda used that kind for a reason. I don't know what the reason is, but, I know those guys are smarter than me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
what happens with no thermostat?

my car has no thermostat and i live in miami its realy hot here and my car has a new radiator and dose not get hot not even to the half way point should i get a thermostat for it or can i jsut keep driving without one ?

·
Registered
449 Posts
You need one. That means your engine oil is not getting to proper temperature, and your engine is wearing prematurely.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a single stage thermostat and it works - but hurddawg is right because my gauge shows a lower temperature now and never gets up to where full temp used to be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to Taxesmxgt:
ya they are smater then u they make parts that only they can sell to make more $$$ of U.
All I ever hear when I want to get parts for my car is DEALER ONLY!!!! To tell u the truth I hate mazda dealers but I love my 6

1 - 7 of 7 Posts