Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1119 Posts

·
Administrator
5,189 Posts
If the VRIS #1 is supposed to be open at idle on the KLDE, at what point does it close, to then open up again at 3250 rpm ?
From the links I posted, it seems that the table tpw posted is true under load only. Since it is well known that vris#2 opens at wot only, maybe the table is only true under wot. It's all guesses on my part, but if you're racing from a dig, then your vris1 will be open at idle (and I think while revving), but the second you introduce load (however that's measured), then vris1 will snap shut if you're between 0-3250 rpm.

For tpw, since your car's vris1 is shut at idle, and assuming you're on stock ecu (pre-1998), some posts suggest that your tps is set incorrectly, or your vris 1 is not working. You can do as Fastest suggested and swap the connector between 1 and 2 to see if 2 opens at idle. If it does, then you know your 1 is bad. This is what I did last year when testing if my vris solenoids were bad. If 2 doesn't open either, then either 2 is also bad, or your ecu thinks it's under load for some reason (maybe tps).

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,064
I am on the KLL8 ecu for the maf swap. And as far as i've research vris operates the same. TPS looks happy but would be worth revisiting.

looks like we have more to sort out about this. Epex does point out an observation I've seen, VRIS 1 opens under wot/load, but stays closed for me at idle, like the graph. But what benifit is it to open and close at such a fractional moment when they climb and respond to the rpm range.

I just don't see the benifit of going from IDLE>Closed>RPM Surge> OPEN> Closed.

Workflow in my head doesn't compute.....

would almost be worth it to toss my old ecu and vaf back in to test

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Not just wot, but under load.
What exactly defines "load" on these cars?

I could have sworn it was something like 75%+ throttle... whatever voltage that corresponds to.

·
Administrator
5,189 Posts
It could be, I just don't know. I just figured that the whole reason for the paper test was because you couldn't check the vris while stationary, so going wot while standing still didn't open/close the vris.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,068
It could be, I just don't know. I just figured that the whole reason for the paper test was because you couldn't check the vris while stationary, so going wot while standing still didn't open/close the vris.
Paul, did you see my video I posted earlier? I did that, I tested the vris at a standstill with the hood open. even blipping the throttle you can see how the vris behaves when it isn't under full load or wot

·
Administrator
5,189 Posts
I get what you're saying bro, but if the klde with stock ecu behaved that way, there wouldn't have been any need for the paper test to be invented. Now that I watched your video again, I'll check mine tonight to be sure.

Your non-stock ecu already behaves differently by having vris 1 being closed at idle, and based on your video, it only looks at rpm (not load) for vris control, so it behaves more like the klze ecu than the klde ecu. The 98+ 626 ecu might differ from the stock klde ecu too, based on a thread I read recently. What car is your KLL8 ecu out of?

·
Administrator
5,189 Posts
OK, so I checked mine and Jeff was right. Load is 75%+ throttle (or thereabouts). If I take the rpms up with partial throttle, both vris don't move from their idle position. If I go wot, I can see 1 do a quick shudder, and I see 2 open at higher rpms. It's impossible to tell what rpms this is all happening at because the revs rise too quick, I guess that's why the paper test is used so you can hear the changes.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,071
OK, so I checked mine and Jeff was right. Load is 75%+ throttle (or thereabouts). If I take the rpms up with partial throttle, both vris don't move from their idle position. If I go wot, I can see 1 do a quick shudder, and I see 2 open at higher rpms. It's impossible to tell what rpms this is all happening at because the revs rise too quick, I guess that's why the paper test is used so you can hear the changes.
My brain is fried from work, but if I read right, they are both staying closed at idle and the behaviour sounds just like mine. I've blipped mine so many times I know where the rpm is and having another ipad recording at the same time as helped to confirm so.

The Kll8 is from an millenia, I'd have to check what year

·
Administrator
5,189 Posts
Sorry I wasn't more clear earlier.

At idle, 1 is open, 2 is closed.

Moving through the rpm range with partial throttle, no change to the vris (1 is open, 2 is closed). This remains the case all the way to redline at partial throttle.

Moving through the rpm range at wot, the vris change, probably following the table you posted earlier.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,073
Ok, dusting this thing off. last reference to VRIS was mine worked fine :p

New things to prep for the July road trip

- New rear adjustable sway bar endlinks
- power steering pump
- gaskets for the headers
- adjust the shifting linkage
- custom espec/jspec brackets to be installed
- replacing my rear alpine type-r to machine my bostons in the front with a new pair of SR80's

and just added this yesterday, need to tweak the rear shelf, vibrating a little too much

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
I still don't see a reference to a tow hitch. You're gonna need it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,076
What does adjusting the shift linkage entail?
The guy who I paid to install the new shifter bushings didnt' do a proper job and the shifting linkage is feeling sloppy. So I am dropping the exhaust and seeing whats loose down there

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,078
You can save a step and not drop the exhaust. I haven't had to drop the exhaust to the sts, both sets of bushings, or the stabilizer bushing.
i have to do the header gaskets, so its all coming down either way

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
What about a tow hitch to tow my car?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1061 - 1080 of 1119 Posts