Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently using 10 w 30 in summer and 5 w in Winter

Now i was woundering if any of u ever put synthetic Oil In the MX6
Synthetic 5 w 30 etc Just curious if its worth it and would it damage the car in any way?

Any comment welcome :eek:

·
0 Posts
Synthetic oil is better than regular oil as a lubricant. It resists thermal break down better, and has the unique ability to cause an engine to run cleaner over time.
That is a general rule.
Depending on your engine milage you should switch over. If the engine has just been rebuilt dont use synthetic untill about 4 or five oil changes AFTER the break in period.

Over 200 000km dont switch to synthetic.

I can explain why if you like but thats just a general rule.

I live in Canada, i work at a shell station, i can tell you from personal experiiance that synthetic 10 30 flows better at -30C than regular 5-30...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK well my car has about 240000 k on it.
So then i shoudlint switch to synthetic?
The engine has never been rebuilt Its orgional.

If i can use synthetic what kind would u recommand?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Stay away from the "synthetic pretenders" such as valvoline, castrol, and pennzoil. Use a synth that's know to be good such as Amsoil or Mobil 1. I've used Mobil 1 full synth 10-30 since I had around 110k miles, and I have 198 now. My motor runs very well and I only use 1.5 quarts or so between changes, and I think most of that is going out my bad turbo seals. I also use Mobil 1 oil filters.
WHATEVER YOU DO STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM FRAM!!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok
Ive desided to put synthetic oil in my car :) I will put Mobil 1 as i hear good things from it.

I just want to make sure That it wont damage my car in any way LOL Just want to be extra safe.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Mobil 1 is very good. The only problem with putting synth in a high mileage engine is that it causes oil leaks and that your car may burn more synthetic than it does normally. Still it's good for the engine.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I agree with antiSUV.... stay away from the Fram oil filters.

I used Fram filters for a while and the engine seemed to use more oil than after I switched to the Mazda oil filters from the dealer. I recommend the Mazda Filters!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree to Ive heard some bad things about FRAM filters for our cars. That is dosent even filter it goes straight through to the oil pan or something

Im gana go to the dealers and get the good stuff :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I also run Moblie 1 10w-30 on my car I also run Moblie 1 oil filter great stuff. Its amzing how the turbo can be glowing red and not seize at 100,000rpm. Moblie on is the shiznit!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts