Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I recently got a suspension kit, dropping about an inch. I currently have 17x7" wheels with 225/45/17's. Sometimes I can hear what sounds like the tyres touching the body/chassis, in particular if I am going on a slightly uneven road surface and there is a small dip/bunker.

These wheels need to be either changed or fixed as they have gone through hell since I got them about 4 years ago. Instead of having them fixed, and possibly changing tyres to 40 profile to try stop the rubbing, I would prefer to go to 16" wheels and 50 profile tyres (for ride quality). Would going to 225/50/16 also aid in reducing tyres touching? In other words, would 50/16's have a lower overall diameter than 45/17's? Also should I reduced the width to something like 215?

Cheers,
X

·
Registered
283 Posts
45 series on a 17 inch wheel is about teh same diamiter as a 16 inch wheel with 50 series ... my 17's rubbed too after i lowered it and i just roled the fender lip in and they never rubbed again cept during really hard brakeing

·
Registered
886 Posts
If I recall correctly, the proper "plus 2" size for the 2nd Gen is a 17 x 7 rim with 215/45/17 tyres.

I think your 225 tyres may be the problem here.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip. It happens when I hit uneven surfaces (so the car moves up/down rapidly) hence why I thought it was perhaps diameter that was a problem. If it is the width then it is no problem as I have to get new tires soon anyway, and 215's will fit on the current wheels.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
prob3r said:
i just roled the fender lip in and they never rubbed again cept during really hard brakeing
Where did you get the fender roller?.. or did you just use a baseball bat?

I'd also suggest to just roll your fenders. I have my stock 2g 225/50/16's on my 1g and I rub on any decent bump or incline change. I need to roll them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you guys think there is a big difference in terms of road noise and comfort with 50/16's as opposed to 45/17's? Also does anyone have pictures of a 2nd gen with 205/50/16's? Reason is: 225's will rub, and 215/50/16 are virtually non existent here :(

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I really don't know how you're rubbing unless your springs are softer than mine.

I'm lowered just as much, if not more, with a bigger overall wheel/tire combo (225/40/18, 8" wide wheel) and I've NEVER scraped a tire on anything.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Well, the lower profile tire should feel stiffer on the ground. The difference between 205's and 225's is a pretty big one.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
My comment on width appearance difference was for your road noise question.. more road noise when you have a larger road contact patch.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Malicious said:
I really don't know how you're rubbing unless your springs are softer than mine.

I'm lowered just as much, if not more, with a bigger overall wheel/tire combo (225/40/18, 8" wide wheel) and I've NEVER scraped a tire on anything.
Well, I got the Tokico suspension kit and I have heard that the springs are a bit softer than others. Also, it only rubs when I hit a small indendation or uneven road surface, and ONLY at the back for some reason.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you sure its rubbing against the body and not the struts?

Make sure that you have the correct offset on your wheels. I just put the tokico kit in mine as well, and there is very little room between the tire and strut (in the front). I got the car with a set of '95 maxima rims and oversized tires- I had to change my tires to make it fit (running stock 205/55r15 rubber now). I plan to pick up a larger set of wheels for summer...

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I do not believe it can rub the strut "sometimes" because the strut moves with the tires.. so it'd rub either all the time or not at all.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
The proper size (matches OEM diameter or is closest too) are as follows for the 2nd gen MX6:

16x7" = 205/50R16
16x8" = 225/45R16
17x7" = 215/40R17
17x8" = 235/35R17 (yes it exists, just check)
18x7" = 215/35R18
18x8" = 225/35R18 (a little bit oversized but works, had this on my old 18's)

If you do not have a size that is listed above on your wheels, then that could explain why you are rubbing. Oversized tires will also force your car to work harder, in turn lowering the chance of a long life on the motor.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys. I am going to get new tires in the next month or so, so I guess I should go for 215/45/17's. Would I also need to roll the fenders with those or will the reduction from 225-->215 be enough (bear in mind that the rubbing only occurs with dips in the road and only at the back).

Also, any idea where I can see previous models (older, discontinued) TSW wheels? I got mine around 4 years ago and was told they were the right offset so didn't need to change anything, but I want to double check.

Cheers,
X

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I'm running 235/40/17 at the front on a 17x9" rim and don't get any rubbing. There's about a 10-15mm gap between the inside edge and the strut and around the same between tyre and wing. The other two rims are 17x8" and are now running at the back with 225\45\17 tyres and no rubbing at all. These will also be replaced with 235\40\17 shortly.

Now, when I had those 17x9" rims at the rear, it would rub on the strut and I had to fit spacers, which caused it to rub on on the inside of the rear wheelarch when cornering hard or hitting large dips in the road. It also had 245\45\17 tyres at the time before switching to the 235\40\17).

The reason for this is because there is more room at the front than the rear, also when lowering the car, you have to do it properly. It's no good just fitting springs unless you go for progressive ones (most are linear). If you also retain the stock shocks then you don't have the right compression/damping rates and that will cause problems too. Eibach springs are the best around and are progressive springs rather than the more common and cheap (& nasty) linear springs. You should match those up with slightly firmer dampers... again I recommend going for one of the best... Tockico illuminas or Tockico Blues (the blues are the same as the illuminas set on level 3). Yes it's more expensive, but it's the best choice and gives the best ride. You really do get what you pay for and if you skimp, you shouldn't really complain about problems it causes. :)

Finally, it's also down to the offset of the rim you have fitted. This is why the same size tyre is fine on one set of rims and not the other.

The whole 215\45\17 thing isn't because of rubbing or fitment, it's because it offers the closest diameter to the original 205\55\15 and as such only alters the speedo reading by a tiny fraction of a percent. I went from 205\55\15 to 235\40\17 and this causes a 2.2% under reading of the speedo. It means when my speedo says 60mph, I'm actually doing 61.3mph.

Rolling the wing under more, might solve the problem... but making the right wheel/tyre/suspension changes in the first place will avoid this altogether.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts