Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...our chips are bin files right? I guess zombie would be the one to ask. couldn't we burn our own chips with uberdata? Upload the stock bin file to your computer and adjust. and burn your own chip.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so why haven't others tried to burn there own? some people question how he programs his chip sometimes...well...make the adjustments yourself then!! lol
well...is the bin files in the same location as like the honda's??
because with Uberdata you can set pretty much EVERYTHING. While we can't set up for when VTEC kicks in...you can set rev limits, make it like a two step, WOT shift rpm, ignition timing per pound of boost, even fuel and adjust for different injectors.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
85gts said:
so why haven't others tried to burn there own?
Other people have tried as well as suceeded: http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104920 the problem is that it is far from being easy unlike your Honda buddies who have a thousand and one guys making mistakes before them and posting their trials and tribulations. For all the hassle that is is worth trying to polish a turd by chip only, you could start yourself a megasquirt system and have 99% less aggravation. Besides, you're only going to be able to do so much with the stock ecu being chipped anyways.

Why do you think so many merely buy a burner and rip Jeremy off in the first place?

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Same difference except one allows you much more options to work with. AFAIK there isn't a single person using MSnS sucessfuly on the 1st gen, at least on MX6.com. (GT22kid is the only one who sticks out as far as owning it but the truck isn't running yet)

Not sure about PT but they don't have any/many threads that stick out like "Hey look what I did, got MSnS up and running!!!" most of the 1G community killed their engines years ago.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
so can you use uberdata to read and burn different set ups in the chips? will it read our ROM chips info correctly or in correlation to where things are...like rpm, ignition, fuel, and what not? some of the arguments so far just say that they don't wanna go through trial and error...not a good reason not to try it. I know that ultimately it is better to go full EMS...but i was wondering if there were more options for chip users...and what could be adjusted with the chip. OBD1 honda's use uberdata and crome pro on there stock ecu's with adding boost to run GREAT and tune it perfectly. Not as perfect as say hondata, but MUCH less the price than Hondata.

also...what programs have zombie and others used to change the stock program and read the stock program. I don't want to steal any chip or copy any of there's. I just want to be able to adjust my own chip and i want to know where on the chip controls what and stuff like that. my friend bought my probe and i am starting to look into programming a different chip. If the uberdata can read our EPROM's and be able to adjust things accordingly. then it would make things a lot easier like 440 injectors and what not. i've seen other things like the romulator. can that be used on our cars to datalog info? please forgive me...i'm just starting to get into this chippin thing and it's quite exciting. so i have tons of questions. just know that i am not lookin to sell chips or anything. just for my own use that i can post if it works or not.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
First, the Mazda ECU is not going to be organized the same as a Honda ECU (probably not even close), so you can forget aboiut uberdata, crome pro, and hondata - that's all Honda stuff and likely won't apply to you. The Mazda ECU is likely a completely different animal with the maps in completely different spots. So it is not going to be plug-and-play using honda tools on a Mazda. Just not that easy. Sure', you can burn chips if you want to using a standard setup, but what to put on the chip and where is a different story and is not "standard."

There are some fairly generic programs that can allow you to do some tuning of .bin files (and provide graphical maps and such) but you have to tell the program where everything is at in order for it to work. See the thread that SickSix linked earlier for a guy who did a "homebrew" turning setup.

As for "programs" that zombie and others have used, there was no "program" to magically show you were the fuel/ignition maps were. These guys (zombie and 626-to-MX6) figured these things out with an emulator, basicaly looking at which EPROM addresses were being accessed by the ECU under what conditions. It's all about trial and error, and a lot of it had to be done to even get any useful info our of the 1G ECU. With Honda, (as Sick said) since it is a much more popular car, you have had thousands ahead of you to do all of this trial and error.

I think you should read the thread that Sick linked in its entirety. I think there's another thread that also talks about the map locations in the EPROM as well and uses a generic map tool used mainly for GM cars.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've read that thread before. but nothing ever really came out of it. from what i remember the guy never fully made what he wanted to out of it. and i believe that it got a bit technical...i know zombie put his input in. and showed what needs to be changed to eliminate boost cut. nothing really about adjusting fuel and ignition timing though.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
85gts said:
i've read that thread before. but nothing ever really came out of it. from what i remember the guy never fully made what he wanted to out of it. and i believe that it got a bit technical...i know zombie put his input in. and showed what needs to be changed to eliminate boost cut. nothing really about adjusting fuel and ignition timing though.
I don't think you read the whole thing. Stuff like this is GOLD to someone like you:

ZombieSS said:
wot fuel map 7240-72F3 12x15 map

spark map 0734F-073EA 12X13 map

Those should help you out some.

Fuel cut is at 52B1, change the value from 3F to FF and fuel cut is gone.

This is Zombie telling you which parts of the .bin file contain what data. I don't see how you can say "nothing ever came out of it".

If you think that thread is too technical, that's too bad because you'll have to get technical if you want to change the maps on these cars. This isn't a honda where everything is easy and point-and-click because thousands of people like Zombie and 626-to-MX6 have done the work for you (and gone farther) and made it so anyone can tune their ECU from a Windows program. It's not like that at all with these old dinosaurs - you'll be completely on your own with the 1G MX-6 editing your maps from scratch. You beginning to understand how much work this is now?

Your perception has been alterted to think this is easy because Hondas are much, much more popular vehicles with tuners and their ECUs have been "Hacked" by many more people.

BTW TunerPro is the program I was thinking of that is rather generic. Again, see that thread for info.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no i did read it. a couple times actually. i know that it's technical and that i have to get some what technical with it. but atleast i did find what you posted about the spark table and wot fuel map. and i read on the tuner pro thing but i thought that that was for gm vehicles? or is that used just to read the bin file so that you have a picture of what it really is...like the graph?? and where is the partial fuel map located and boost adjustment map...and rev limits...i saw that they are basically all in hex or decimal..it's just going to be complicated i know, but i was wondering if we could find the location of everything on the chip...like the uberdata did for hondas...that we could make the same kinds of adjustments to our cars...setting rev limits and what not...maybe not eliminating the VAF but still tuning the cars better and to be run with bigger injectors. how did jay b get 440's to work?? must be in the program or eprom somewhere right???

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
SixSick6 said:
Other people have tried as well as suceeded: http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104920
Thats one of the most informative threads Ive seen...

And if those dyno's he posted are real I want one of those chips...

170hp & 260fp/tq at 9psi:smokin: ...and look at his torque curve he peaks at 2850 and holds until 4250...thats just sick...

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
He says he has 2.5" exhaust, no cat, and a K&N filter. It this is true then he wouldn't be boosting 8.7 psi as a highest even with the stock solenoid. With my 3" and a 3" cat, I have always been able to hit 10 psi and no more with the stock boost solenoid attached. Back when I had 2.5" cat-back, it was the same thing. Cone filter and larger exhaust= roughly 10 psi max.

What I am getting at is that I myself dynoed 176HP and 226 fpt with 10 psi and the stock VJ11. Stock chip as well.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Those address's that I posted are the secret to tuning the car. There just is not easy way to do things on these cars. I still sell chips setup for stock turbos for two reasons:
1. I like helping people go faster for cheap
2. people still want them

I've moved on to other cars and do tuning on mainly GM stuff now (my current car makes over 600 rwhp on 13psi). I remember testing and beating on my car day after day trying to figure out the maps. Took a few weeks and quite a few $$$ (eprom emulator, laptop, eprom burner, wideband, custom electronics I made, etc.)

Anyways, if you want to tune your own computer then you can start with the addresses I posted in that thread and go from there.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Zombie. I know you've put lots of your time and effort into tuning these cars and I don't wanna take away from your credibility. I just wanna see if we can go a little farther. So can you make adjustments after you lay a graph down with stock numbers on tuner pro? In other words...does tuner pro read the hex and decimal numbers and put them in a graph and from that graph...can we make adjustments and have that graph transfered back into hex and copy onto a chip?? i mean...knowing what part of the graph equals the part on the hex table...you should be able to make adjustments. and then convert it back to hex after. i personally don't have my 89PGT anymore, but I did have your chip in it...thanks for installing it too...i know i was probably one of the last people's ecu you worked on since you've stopped. i still want to get another one of your chips though to help tune.

i'm going to be ordering a ECU for my 92 Accord EX that is going to be chipped and use uberdata to help tune it later when I get some mods on it. I'm getting the ECU hooked up with a data logger, and a chip burner. So with the chip burner i should be able to open and read the chip. it's just that uberdata reads the current Honda chip and i know it won't read ours. but as long as i can open where i need to and have a program that can read the numbers...it should be ok.

not only that but the links in that thread are all down and no longer available with the info that they put up.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
SixSick6 said:
He says he has 2.5" exhaust, no cat, and a K&N filter. It this is true then he wouldn't be boosting 8.7 psi as a highest even with the stock solenoid. With my 3" and a 3" cat, I have always been able to hit 10 psi and no more with the stock boost solenoid attached. Back when I had 2.5" cat-back, it was the same thing. Cone filter and larger exhaust= roughly 10 psi max.

What I am getting at is that I myself dynoed 176HP and 226 fpt with 10 psi and the stock VJ11. Stock chip as well.
Yes thats nice and all but theres a big difference between 226<260...and there is also that sick ass torque curve Ive never seen anything like that....

course I only have a butt dyno for my 10psi-12psi...but it cant be much better than the stock turbo because its a T3/VJ11 hybrid...I been thinking about getting a .48 trim T3 after winter and dynoing with that and getting rid of the shitty intrax in the back...

I only wish the trip to Vegas wasnt 15+hrs

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
85gts said:
In other words...does tuner pro read the hex and decimal numbers and put them in a graph and from that graph...can we make adjustments and have that graph transfered back into hex and copy onto a chip??
That's exactly it, you're on the right track now. Since you already know where some of the maps are you've got a good start.

Also, it's "hexadecimal", not "hex and decimal". Hexadecimal is a base-16 number system, just another way of representing numbers - you're probably used to decimal, which is base-10. Computers actually understand only binary (base-2), but hexadecimal is used to represent long strings of 1's and 0's to make them easier to read. I.e. 1100 in binary is "C" in hex, and 12 in decimal. They are all the same numbers, just different ways to represent them. Not that difficult once you're used to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts