Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what would be the best way to get a broken bolt out of your valve cover? Ive managed to snap one of the bolt heads off on my valve cover when I was putting it back on. I dont think my dads Torque Wrench is working very well, because well umm.. you get the picture.

How should I go about getting this out without messing up the threads on the VC?

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
is it broke off flush in the head? if so you will have to drill it out and retap it

if it has a stub you can do the following:

A. Put a vice grip on it and turn it out
B. Get a stud remove socket and turn it out
C. Weld a Nut to the bolt and turn it out

A. Works sometimes, but if it doesnt it usually ruins the bolt so B,C cannot be done.
B. Can only be done if theres a large amound of the bolt sticking out of the head
C. Almost alwase works if done right. Although you need a welder, need to mask off the engine bay and head.

All of them you will have to remove the valve cover.
For best results, heat up around the remainder of the bolt with a propane torch. Dont heat the bolt itself, heat the aluminum casting (the head). Also just get it warm, dont go crazy or you could damage the head. If you do the welder method, a propane torch is not needed since the weld will heat it up.

D. You live with out it, you may not have a problem with it sealing. Put some silicone around the seam of that area and fill the hole with some silicone. I did this on my oil pan since those bolts are very small and break easily.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I think A might work. I never thought of it (though it seems obvious) but if I take the valve cover off, it should be sticking up enough for me grab it with a pair of vice grips and take it out. Hopefully I dont mess it up. Ill let people know how it goes. Thanks for the advice. How much is a decent Torque Wrench? The one I have sucks, and its older than me, and it apparantly isnt working.

Also, if someone has a Haynes Manual, can you look in it and see what ft/lbs or inch/lbs the VC is supposed to be torqued down to? I did it once before, but I cant find my book, and Im not sure im 100% correct with my memory.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
5.0-8.8Nm.

Thats about 4-6 ftlbs.

Or about 45-70 inch lbs.

You could overtorque it with a nutdriver...gotta be careful. With torque values this low it is imperative that you make sure both internal and external threads are very clean and free of nicks.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
yeah you shoould be just fine, i have two valve covers and have actually swapped them back and forth a number of times to keep my bay looking fresh! i had two missing actually and there was no problem at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.