Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever mounted anything under the rear deck? I'm thinking of pulling the existing package tray out and making a new one. I want to replace the existing rear speakers with 6.5 woofer on each side and put an 8 in the middle. I want to cover it with tan vinyl and use the factory rear covers and cover the 8 with a flush mounted grill cloth cover. Under the rear deck I want to enclose the sub and make a rack for the amp and changer. I just don't want to interfere with the pass through rear seats. Anyone have any experience with such an idea?

·
Registered
459 Posts
well right now I'm kinda doing the same thing. To insure I still have a trunk I'm stealthing my subs in the rear quarter pannels. I'm trying to put my amps on top of the deck, sort of sunk in, not too sure how this is going to be done but I'll figure it out. Any suggestiong would be great. As for the changer I'm planning on putting a pioneer under the passanger seat 6 disc.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Before you guys start removing anything please remember that it is all metal under there and if you remove too much of it you are going to compromise the integrity and safety of that part of the car.

I understand your need for some bass etc, but I did this once on a Mercedes and it did weaken the chassis frame at this point, so do be careful.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm not actually planning on removing any metal i full understand the structure of the car. The stereo is second to speed so I want the car to stay rigid. I was planning on cutting out the cosmetic plastic deck and sinking the amps in. If you have any suggestions on this I would love to hear them. As for the bass. The subs are going beside the back seat behind the quarter pannel. I'm fiberglassing inside the pannel in front of the rear wheels. Take a look at Dan's Impreza RS page for pic's and I'll post mine soon. I already have some but don't know how to post yet. EF MAX that is one sweet ride!!! I love the alarm ideas and the originality of the whole car!! I can't wait to see the next setup!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Okay, I have a better idea of what you are trying to do now. For one short moment I had visions of you hacking away underneath the parcel shelf.

I must admit that I had never thought of trying to use that space in the way that you suggest.

I did take my plastic off once but that was so I could get some sound deadening material under there as my bass is bit on the OTT side and it cause nuff vibrations in that area.

The new setup is all over my bedroom at the moment as the car is having the gearbox rebuilt, but I aim to take some decent photos and put them on the web page so as it tells a more complete picture.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally I hadn't planned on hacking away at the rear deck but I might have to enlarge the speaker holes from the bottom. I want to mount an 8 under the deck on each side beneath the factory speaker grill. That way when somebody looks in the back of the car, nothing is out of the ordinary. I will have to pull the plastic off of the top to do this. I am going to sound deaden the top and fiberglass the bottom of the deck and that will make the top of the enclosure. Then within that enclosure that will come down even with the top of the pass through entry I will mount the x-over, amp and changer.

It will be fun except for the wife bitching about her car smelling like fiberglass for a week.

·
Registered
212 Posts
When you start designing a fiberglass enclosure, what is the best material to use for the frame? PVC pipe, wood, etc. I also need to know the best fiberglassing material or procedure to use to get a completely smooth finish because the paint I'm using will show any flaws. Also, how do you get that gel coated look that some of the new cars have on the dash? Like for instance the new Porsche or the PT Cruiser?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn't planning on fiberglassing anything that could be seen. If you want a perfect finish it would just take alot of time smoothing and filling small imperfections. Then a high quality paint job with a clear finish on it.

I'm gonna cover the bottom of the deck with sound deadner and mold my fiberglass to that. No rattles and more airspace is what I expect to gain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts