Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking through the photos of some of your cars and I'm curious how some of you guys who drive your sixes daily (or at least regularly) manage to keep the engine bay so spotless. Mine is a bit of a mess. The head is tarnished and has oil discolorations, the painted surfaces are dull, and everything has a general coating of road dust crap on it. I tried that spray on engine block cleaner once, never again. All that succeeded in doing was getting water in my spark plug holes when I rinsed it off. So, any suggestions? First to get it clean, and second, to keep it that way? Thanks.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've managed to keep mine clean. But I never use a cleaner because the risk of water in the engine, well lets not say. But I use a dry sometimes a little wet cloth to wipe the engine and everything else under the hood down - that does the trick.

Oh yeah and some simple green will help there too.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
WD40

spray some WD40 on the engine. turn the engine on and let it burn for a bit, then wipe off. heard it does wonders.

solar

·
Registered
446 Posts
3 words: Castrol Super Clean

Buy a gallon-sized jug and a squirt bottle. Fill the squirt bottle and spray down the engine. Rinse off immediately with water. BOOM!, your engine is clean. Its amazing stuff. Just don't let it sit on your hoses, etc for too long. I believe its acidic, but its not a problem so long as you rinse it off fairly quickly. No scrubbing, just squirt on and rinse off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I Just Cleaned My Engine

I just cleaned my engine and my dad bought this product called Engine Degreaser. We just took my 6 in the woods covered up the spark plug holes with plastic bags and just sprayed it on for about 30 min. Use a brush or a soft scrubbing material to scrub if needed. Then we just dumped to buckets of water on it to rinse it off. Make sure you have electrical stuff covered up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts