Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello I have a 1994 MX-6 with about 116K on it and I lifted my hood tonight and was giving it gas under the hood and noticed that the spark plug wires were sparking against the valve cover and other various spots?? Is that just defective/old wires or could it be something else too??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys ill do it this weekend. Also I was wondering which would be the first maintenance steps to making my car run better?? It has 116K on the engine and she still pulls strong should I have the timing belt replaced, engine tune up?? I have no knowledge of when either were done last. I bought the car for $700 last week and am looking to make her run stronger and faster. So the wires, new belts, and.................

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
timing belt, water pump, check crank and cam seals, new plugs, disty cap and rotor, K&N panel filter, seafoam and then oil change.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
timing belt is always the most important thing. I can't remember but i think your car has what is called an interference engine. Meaning that the valves run extremely close to the piston when it is at the top of the combustion chamber.

So when the belt snaps after age, like 90% of honda engines, it bends the valves and causes damage to the pistons. This costs a lot more than timing belt maintenece as you've pretty much destroyed most of the top of the engine.

A timing belt job at a shop will run around 7-900 usuaully. I always have the water pump replaced at the same time cause most of the time the timing belt is driving the water pump too. Pumps generally won't seize up, its possible, but most of the time they just start to leak after years and years of running.

Its def not a cheap thing to do, but it'll save your ass in the long run. Also another way to tell if your spark plug wires are bad is to get a Volt meter and set it to ohm's. You should get about 7K-8K ohms of resistance. If its around like 16K or something higher get some new plugs and she should run better. And if there is a pin-hole in your case it will complete the circuit through the easiest path, and 30,000 volts finds the easiest thing to ground to. Hope some of that helps you understand what is happening in your engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys i already knew i was gettin into some pricy work but i know this car is worth it let me know if you think of any other good quick fix's.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
well something else to look at that would only take a second of time would be to inspect your joints. Like your ball joint, tie rod end....really if anything is torn or has play while the wheel is off the ground i'd take care of that pronto

Last thing you want is going 50mph and all of a sudden you can't control your car. Hasn't happend to me but i always check out stuff like that first. ....Maybe through some new plugs in it but i can't think of anything that would really keep it going well other than the belt, your suspension and maybe look at the brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks man i really appreciate it but now my buddy who has a probe has me sold on buyin a klze. All the money it would cost me to have the timing belt replaced and engine tuned up I can just buy a klze and have it shipped to his shop and put in for a few more hundred

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
i would still replace the timing belt, even though they might say its all factory or only has a few thousand miles thats one thing i woudlnt' shrug on. A timing belt is defentily worth it when your on the side of the road for over an hour waiting for the tow truck.

Good to hear you founda deal on a good motor.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
timing belt is always the most important thing. I can't remember but i think your car has what is called an interference engine. Meaning that the valves run extremely close to the piston when it is at the top of the combustion chamber.

So when the belt snaps after age, like 90% of honda engines, it bends the valves and causes damage to the pistons. This costs a lot more than timing belt maintenece as you've pretty much destroyed most of the top of the engine.
correction: 4 cylinders ARE interferance engines, the V6 is NOT so if you blow the timing belt it does not hurt the motor and you can just replace the belt and keep going in most cases, still a good idea to change it though because you dont want to be stranded when waiting for a tow truck.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
correction: 4 cylinders ARE interferance engines, the V6 is NOT so if you blow the timing belt it does not hurt the motor and you can just replace the belt and keep going in most cases, still a good idea to change it though because you dont want to be stranded when waiting for a tow truck.
ahh, my bad sir. I thought there was a horror story on here about their ZE's timing belt busting and the engine got fuxored. I still haven't snapped a belt on any of my cars...knock on wood.

Which reminds me that my dad still wants me to put a belt on the teg...........so not worth it for 50 bucks.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts