Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading this post left by Dave Coleman http://www.probetalk.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/004182.html,
I decided to put his theory to he test. I went to Autozone and bought a 2.5 in Mighty flow! intake hose to replace my ols 3 in hose. One problem I ran into was I could not get the 2.5 hose over the maf, so I cut off about 6 inches off of my 3 in hose and ran the smaller hose through it. Then, I used a 3 inch hose clamp to tighten them together to make sure there was no air loss.

I defetely noticed a more imediate response in throttle. I also chirp the tires much easier( too easy!)..

All said, I think this mod is defintely worth it, and I am very happy with my results.

G

·
how do you have your k&n running, do you have it ran down or is it hooked up straight to the MAF? i am wanting to do this mod but i haven't figured out how i want to do it yet.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have it set up like the hot shot with the fitler tied to the splash gaurd. Picture a hot shot intake only instead of using the hoter metal pipe, I use a mighty flow intake hose from autozone. I used three 3 in hose clamps, one to connect the hose to the filter, one to attach the adapter, and one to attach the hose to the maf.

In case you have never seen a hot shot hooked up, check this site. It has great instructions on how to hook up the intake. I just use the hose instead of the pipe. I also keep my intake tied on top of the splash guard laying down to prevent water from comming up.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5335/hotshot.htm

·
Registered
475 Posts
hey man, im not sure if u got my email or not but I have two questions about yourcustom CAI.
Can this setup be used with an auto?
How is the hose supported up?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure if it would fit the auto or not. I was going to help a budy instal one in his auto pgt becuase it looked like it was possible, but he went out of state for school and have not seen him since.

As forthe hose supporting the filter, probably not. WHich is why I keep mine tied to the splashgaurd laying down to prevent it from falling off.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't see how you're noticing this gain in power from dead stops which what I think you mean by chirping the tires. There will not be much diff in power in a cia setup until the car is moving at high enough speeds to get the air flow going. You might gain 2-5 hp. Is this noticable? Not really. Maybe at high speeds when the air is really flowing into the intake.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you have to understand that our cars are failry light wieight, so mods like these will make a diference.

As for a CAI not making a diference until high speeds, that is incorret. A motor is a gaint pump, sucking in air regardless of the speed. The intake is constantly sucking in air, the higher the rpms not the speed, the more air it will take in. The longer piping on the intake also resonates,helping incoming air,as well as add to lower end power and torque. Another factor is that a non cold air intake will suck in hot air regarless off the speed.
Finnally, the intake sucks the same way you would from a straw. If you suck out of a straw, you have to suck much harder. The intake works the same way.

[Edited by MX-6 BOY jr on 03-22-2001 at 03:12 AM]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Using your straw analogy, if you used a wider straw in diameter, then it would take more force to suck up more air. Using this larger straw allows more air to be ingested but does not necesarily mean instantly. So with that in mind, when you start picking up speed the force of your speed will help force cold air into your intake which now allows more air to be ingested at once.

As far as the weight our a vehicle, that does not make any difference to how much air is ingested. A car can weigh 3500lbs and ingest the same amount of air at a stand still as a car that wieghs 2500lbs with the same diameter intake/tubing. I don't see your logic there?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
power to weight ratio is one of the most important aspects of racing. That is how imports,like hondas, are able to make 9 sec quarter mile runs is by striping down every thing they posibly can. The lower the weight of the vehicle, the less work you need to push from your motor. Therefore, it will accelerate quicker. our cars only weigh 2800 lbs, so most modificcations will help acceleration. The intake can make the diference between 3 tenths of a second in the quarter.

AS for the motor not picking up air instantly, you are correct. It will start to pick it up as soon as you rev your motor and you are at stand still. If it didnt, then they would not show on a dyno because you are not actualy moving. If you have not already, pick up aprils issue of SCC magazine because they test a AEM cold air (same design as mine)with the water blocker, and you will notice how much water that intake is sucking out of that fish tank. That clearly shows that the intake will suck air much easier without needing to actually be moving to work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts