I bought this completely stock 88 MX-6 about a month ago from Spoolz:

Upgrades I did the past 2 weeks:
-Probinator Chip
-HKS SSQV BOV
-2.5" downpipe with Custom o2 housing

Removing the old EPROM:

Installing socket:

My crappy soldering job:

The probinator chip installed and it works great!

The stock BPV looks like it was JB welded by the previous owner? The vacuum hose wasn't even attached. No wonder the car felt slow; this thing was leaking like crazy. this also explains that turbo flutter!

HKS SSVQ BOV sounds awesome! The car runs just fine with it:

This is getting installed next weekend:

·
Registered
253 Posts
HOOOOOORAYY, im the first to post, it looks good, with the blow off on the turbo side it blows off madd hard(my opinion)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HOOOOOORAYY, im the first to post, it looks good, with the blow off on the turbo side it blows off madd hard(my opinion)
This bov is really f'in loud, but that's okay. It will compliment the exhaust which will be an open downpipe...

Once I install a clutchmaster stage III and Greddy Profec B EBC, I will take it to the track and see what she does.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
why do you need a stage 3 clutch? just for the mod list?

save your money and get a fidanza or spec aluminum flywheel with the replacement exedy clutch. My stock exedy with over 120k miles on it held just fine with 21psi on a TO4E 57 trim.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
why do you need a stage 3 clutch? just for the mod list?

save your money and get a fidanza or spec aluminum flywheel with the replacement exedy clutch. My stock exedy with over 120k miles on it held just fine with 21psi on a TO4E 57 trim.

Does a lighter flywheel really make that much of a difference? I may just get a stage 1 clutch to save money, but I do prefer a 'grippy' clutch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Is the SSQV hooked up for recirculation? If not, howed you plug the hole?:confused:
it's not recirculating. I have the intake capped off. I plan on purchasing a recirculation fitting for the HKS BOV and turn it into a BPV after I modify the intake plumbing. I want to relocate my VAF to behind the radiator and run a new pipe to the turbo inlet. From the vaf, I want to run a pipe around to the front of the radiator and place the filter behind the front bumper. The pipe running to the turbo inlet will have a 1" recirc fitting for BPV recirculation, as well as a nipple for the boost controller bleed off. I will also have a 1/2" fitting for PCV system venting.

·
short stroker
235 Posts
nice work...yeah the stock bypass valve was...umm...cracked and jb welded with a small plastic barb fitting for the vacuum line when i bought it. It held ok but broke off once or twice...nice upgrade though

I'm interested in the downpipe...can you take a closer pic of the o2 housing area of the downpipe? Looks good, just wondering if it clears the a/c compressor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice work...yeah the stock bypass valve was...umm...cracked and jb welded with a small plastic barb fitting for the vacuum line when i bought it. It held ok but broke off once or twice...nice upgrade though

I'm interested in the downpipe...can you take a closer pic of the o2 housing area of the downpipe? Looks good, just wondering if it clears the a/c compressor.
I was worried about the same exact thing. It appears to (based on eye balling alone) clear the compressor, but time will tell. If it does not, I will be forced to get an AC delete pulley... in Florida. However, with this car, performance has priority over comfort since I have another car for daily driving.

I will take closer pics of the dp and o2 housing for you. the o2 housing is much larger than stock and I can't wait to witness the results after installation.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
car looks clean :tup:

paint never holds up on the trim for too long though.....otherwise i would have painted mine

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ran into MTX issues tonight. I lost 2nd, 4th, and reverse. It still shifts into 1st,3rd,5th indicating none of the shift rods are stuck. The shifter bushings are in good condition and the linkage appears to be fine. It's either a loose/broken shift gate or possibly a fork issue. It looks like I'll be taking the tranny apart this weekend in addition to the dp install.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts