Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about upgrading my ignition system sometime this year but I have zero knowledge about ignition systems. Can anyone offer help/advice?

I want to get rid of the distributor and go to coil packs. I am running megasquirt now if it matters.

·
Registered
752 Posts
From what i have read the easiest way is the Ford EDIS system. The hardest part seems to be mounting the crank wheel and sensor. EDIS Ignition Control

·
Vendor
570 Posts
I have been thinking about upgrading my ignition system sometime this year but I have zero knowledge about ignition systems. Can anyone offer help/advice?

I want to get rid of the distributor and go to coil packs. I am running megasquirt now if it matters.
There's several ways to do this. At the moment, are you using the crank trigger, or the 6 tooth Hall effect sensor in the distributor?

·
Vendor
570 Posts
Well, there's three possible options.

1. Attach a 36-1 wheel to the crankshaft pulley and either use EDIS or the Extra code and firing the coils directly from the Megasquirt.

2. File one tooth off the stock crank trigger, making it a 6-1 wheel. Use the Extra code to fire the coils directly.

3. Use the stock crank trigger plus the one tooth Hall effect sensor in the distributor. This would use the dual wheel decoder mode and requires no mods to the sensors, but I believe it only works for coil on plug if you have an MS1. (MS2/Extra can use this for either wasted spark or COP.)

Let me know which option sounds best.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Why dont you use an MSD 6a Box with a Coil and a ZE disty .. ?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
WEll if you have the MSD box with an external coil all the ZE Disty is for is the Cam sensor and a Disty cap .. Youve eliminated anything that would typically fail with the upgraded MSD components with out any further programing of the MS

I only say this because its what I plan to do .. Its probably the simplest replacement that can be done .. the next step would be the ford EDIS .. and to do that Id need MS (which you have) ..

·
Registered
778 Posts
you need a ZE disty or 7 tower cap if your planing on using an external coil.

·
Vendor
570 Posts
My MS board is MS1 based. I am using an EMS Pro unit. I guess the last option would be the best then.
As the eMS-Pro has only four spark outputs, you're best off modding the crank trigger. File off the tooth that's about 120 degrees before TDC, wire that to the Tach In wire, and then switch the DIP switches over to VR input. Enable Generic Wheel and spark outputs A, B, and C, and disable the distributor mode. Then set up your wheel decoder like so:

Wheel decoder base teeth: 6

2nd trigger enable: Off
Missing teeth: 1
Trig pos A: 1
Trig return A: 0
Trig pos B: 3
Trig return B: 0
Trig pos C: 5

Set the rest to zero, and set your trigger angle to 65. A Mitsu 3000GT VR4 coil pack assembly might make a good set of coils for this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I need to ask a question. I just saw a 626 with coil packs in the PNP and wanted to know what all I need to get off of it to put on my car. I want to get everything at once. Picture's help me out as I'm a visual person.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I have used the Jacobs and MSD setups... not bad but once you have MS I think Coil Packs is the best option.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts