Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

9081 - 9100 of 12501 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
garbage is the wrong word...just impractical for a street driven car...I'm sure the vette motors of the same time are no better at mileage than the rotary, emissions and torque is a different story...the rotary is an amazing engine for a race car...for the power output, the size and weight compared to another engine. Easier to rev good, more reliable at consistent high rpms...except for maybe the kl;)

GM has had plenty of screw ups as well...their first aluminum block was supposedly a failure, I'll see if I can find anything on it more than that, though;)
Last I knew, it is still the only jap engine to win the 24hour lemans...btu may have changed by now...

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Quad4 not torquey?
http://w41442.info/38.jpg

Sucker averages 130ft-lbs to the wheels from 2-5300 rpm. You won't see a stock KL or F2 with that much torque down low AND that flat past 5k rpm.

Very stock F2:
http://www.teamunemployment.com/gavin/dyno sheet/Red dyno.jpg

NOT that I'm a GM fanboi by any means, I think the greatest thing they've given the world is the small block chevy, so that it could be installed into RX7's where it belongs. :D :D

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I'm up for Winners go cart racing almost any weeknight except Wednesdays. Josh, pick a date and lets do it!
Darn, Wednesdays are 'Race Till you Drop'. But Tuesdays look pretty good still @ $15/race. I'm busy the next 3 Tuesdays though.

How about December 8th @ WinnersMotorsports? That's plenty of time to plan ahead and get some people there?!

Here is the pricing .... I could maybe do Thursdays as well if you guys wanted sooner.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
NOT that I'm a GM fanboi by any means, I think the greatest thing they've given the world is the small block chevy, so that it could be installed into RX7's where it belongs. :D :D
lol ha ha, Ryan your to funny. I like your thinking, but I still think the Covette is the best overall performance car out there. For the money, MPG, and power, you just can't beat it.
They make good full sized SUVs too. ;) Tahoe and Burbs way better than the Expedition that Ford pumps out.

Matt, I know that the beetle, squareback, and bus were all carberated till about 1975... Don't know much about the other cars. early 1970s is when they switched to the 1600 cc engine over the 1500 cc, and then in 73 IIRC wen to the dual port intake on the heads. In 73 they also started the Inedpendant Mcpherson struts in the front instead of the torsion bars, and changed the rear to CV type axels instead of the swing axle allowing the rear wheel to not tip in and out as it traveled up and down.

Dec 8th sounds good to me! Probably the most expensive meet we'll ever have, but just look at all the legal fun you can have! If you have a helmet, bring your own. They require you to wear a helmet, and if you don't have one, they will be happy to supply a nice filthy sweaty one for you.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The first electronic version of fuel injection - a multi-point system - was developed by Chrysler and Bendix in 1958. It was an option on Hemi and wedge engines.

Ashton, I considered swaping the valvetrain, but haven't as of yet. How long do you think it would take?

-Nick

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Problem with swapping valvetrains from a different is ... you can't do it yourself. Sure, you could just swap the parts with a valve spring compresser .. but the seats of the valves won't line up perfectly and you risk leaking. That means you gotta drop it off at a machinist to get a valve job done. Gets $$ pretty quick.

·
Registered
283 Posts
ya im having a machine shop do everything including tha valvetrain swap, p and p the heads, manifold and tb, as well as the new gaskets probably gonna get tha phenolics spacers as well, i was asking cuz i was just curious about how much u spent on springs, keepers and retainers. Im getting ready to order mine from interprep but its around $390-400 for everything ouch especially after ordering my n20 tri-flow cams from colt cams for 400 plus 61 shipping. i have just about everything i need before i can take it to the machine shop, my lightweight adjustable cam gear are suppose to be here this week too.

·
Registered
444 Posts
No the small block was the greatest gift to the general population, the Big block well for those that can afford to drive it and build it it is the supreme GM motor in my book, my small block was a pussy always having to run the shit out of it when towing and on hills, the BB just grunts and farts some nasty out the TP and the needle starts jettisoning toward 90, however I have come to the conclusion the BB can also be a ticking time bomb, I had a 9500lb. boat on the ass of my burb the other week and near the mouth of parleys I was standing on the fucker and it was holding 70 but the temp gauge started moving faster than the fuel so I have realized when you put that much fuel into anything it will get hot and quick, but the SB would have left me stranded on that one.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Have you ever driven the old quad 4? Paper and actuality can be different...They are prolly slightly more torquey than the KL, but comparable...sound like ass, though, at least compared to all the good mazda engines;)

Not bashing GM either, if the opportunity came about to play with one, I totally would, but it's much like the KL...if I didn't buy the one I have, it would have been a LONG time down the road I finally started playing with one...which by the way, I'm reminded of this since I've started driving it again, you and zach suck for letting me drive this long without getting a 2gen:p you guys should have convinced me a long time ago...

Anyways, they didn't pull real hard til bove 4k IIRC, but I'll ask my dad, I guess I should mention that I've never been in a 190hp one, they were rare, most were 170 I wanna say, actually according to wkik...

The W41 version was the highest-output Quad 4 at 190 hp (142 kW) in 1991 and 1992, and 185 hp (138 kW) in 1993. The additional 10 hp (7.5 kW) came from longer duration cams and a different PROM.

Applications:

1991 Oldsmobile 442
1992-1993 Oldsmobile Achieva SCX

The LD2 was the standard version of the Quad 4. It is a lower output version of the Quad 4 when compared to the LGO or High Output Quad 4. The LD2 was the first incarnation of the Quad 4, introduced in 1987 for the 1988 Model year. Even in LO form the Quad4 was impressive putting out 160 hp. Although this may not seem like a lot by today's standards, consider other American made four cylinders of the time; The Chrysler 2.2 and the Ford 2.3 both of which needed a Turbocharger and an intercooler to match that number. GM was able to produce the 160 hp with no turbo, only 9.5:1 compression and didn't even need an EGR to pass emission standards. The LO Quad 4 saw several slight changes during it production run including different crankshafts, cams, and manifolds, all meant to increase torque and quiet NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness). There was also a transitional version of the LD2 in 1995, which displaced the same 2.3 liters as the normal Quad 4 but featured the dual balance shafts of the later 2.4 TwinCam.

The High-Output 2.3 L LG0 version produced 180 hp (134 kW) from 1989 to 1992, 175 hp (130 kW) in 1993, and 170 hp (125 kW) in 1994. Changes included more aggressive camshafts, and an extra half point of compression (from 9.5:1 to 10.0:1). These engines require premium octane gasoline, of 91 octane or higher, due to the compression ratio. To date, the Quad 4 is General Motors most powerful "Naturally Aspirated" 4 cylinder engine produced. The W41 option listed below does not hold the title over the new direct-injected Ecotec LAF launched in the 2010 Buick Lacrosse and 2010 Chevrolet Equinox, due to the W41 not being SAE certified; the LAF has an output of 182 HP. Applications:

1990-1993 Chevrolet Beretta GTZ
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26
1989-1991 Pontiac Grand Am "SE"
1990-1991 Pontiac Grand Am "LE"; only w/"Sport Performance Package"
1992-1994 Pontiac Grand Am "GT"
1990-1991 Pontiac Grand Prix
1989-1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais "I-Series"
1990-1991 Oldsmobile 442 (full model name: "Cutlass Calais Quad 442")
1990-1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

I think we had the 180hp version...kinda makes me wonder...just for comparison...an F2 with 10:1CR vs this engine...obviously wont have the top end...but how about that midrange;)

The FE3 with 10:1...actually exists...but somewhat rare...160ish HP, not sure on the torque, but fairly flat curve...unfortunately mazda sacked it with a horrible IM, change that out for something comparable to the quad intake mani (which is pretty good, better than any mazda IM I've seen...at least of the era) and tweak cam timing a bit, should be able to get close, but it was a fairly torquey engine when I was driving it...won't be as much output, being only a 2.0L, but slap a turbo on both, and I'd bet on the FE3...

Going SB or BB, I'd still stick to forrd ones...but that's me. I don't bash on the other ones, b/c they all have benefits, but SB ford...the 289, a V8 with a shorter stroke than a KL, but with a 4" bore, too bad they didn't have DOHC, but then again, neither did the chev...but practicality...chev wins, WAY more che SB, cheaper, simple, and everywhere.

Don't know as much about BB's as small, most sound funny to me, but nothing beats a BB at idle;) mean as hell, except for a pre-2003 15L cat with straight stacks;) Could hear it thorughout the ENTIRE knight yard that day...never heard it get above 600rpms. I can work around the old ford FE blocks (ironic, eh;) ) but never dealt alot with all the big blocks to pick a favorite.

the GM LS engines are amazing with just about anything they've ever done...amazing how much better they are than all the other v8's, and GM stuck with a cam in block...everyone else tried new things, new designs, etc. GM stuck with something that was known to work, and perfected it...

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Let's not forget ford gem of the era with the quad 4, either...the SHO 3.0L (or 3.2L)
makes the same power as the 3.0L in the mazda 6, but 10 years earlier...

anyways...some ear candy:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ya ive seen that clip of that cammed GT sounds sexy as hell, i hope mine sounds just as good. Im sure il need megasquirt to tune everything as well

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
If you're good, with MS you can make those lump ass cams idle very smoothly.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Why would you want to smooth out that idle??? That sounds bad a$$. :D I love the lopey cam sound.

Josh, why don't we do a Thursday at Winner's?? Only a dollar a lap! People could come and race as much as their budget could afford.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Oh yeah! Forgot to mention, Josh, like Bill said, how about Dec 10th @ miller, it's a Thursday, and dollar a lap makes it easy for everybody to spend as little or as much as they want. :D

·
Registered
582 Posts
Oh yeah! Forgot to mention, Josh, like Bill said, how about Dec 10th @ miller, it's a Thursday, and dollar a lap makes it easy for everybody to spend as little or as much as they want. :D
I don't know if my car will be broken in by then. That sucks.

-Nick

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Goood Lawd Cammed LS motors sound incredible...
Agreed;) Here soon my buddy will have one;) Trans am, with long tube headers and SLP header back exhaust, sound mean as hell as is, next step is the cam and heads...sadly I think think it will beat my 2gen as it sits...I need to run it by you bill see if you can help me with this thing...might be a bit, still tidying up wires, but I'm stumped to a high end stutter...

·
Registered
283 Posts
oh ya i definetly would keep that lopey sound, i love it

9081 - 9100 of 12501 Posts