Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

10061 - 10080 of 12501 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
I am pissed off with my paint job... how does satin black sound?

-Nick

·
Registered
582 Posts
I haven't seen a Probe painted like that yet. Maybe I will give it a try.

·
Registered
283 Posts
ive seen one on probetalk not too long ago, it looked alright kinda like black primer. i personally like shiney clean waxed black paint myself

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I think low gloss or completely flat black looks mean, I wanna do it to a couple of my cars, my buddy at work says it's one of the more expensive ones right now, though, but I think he only tried a couple suppliers...

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
FWIW, a paint job worth getting on that car is going to cost you $2-3k, fix the blatantly bad stuff and drive it. :shrug:

My opinion on the paint, I think it'll just look like a Primer'd Probe...and there's lots of those around already. :lol:

·
Registered
582 Posts
The problem with my paint is actually all of the little cracks in the clear. They piss me off because I can't do anything about them.
Also, I am not planning on paying a shop to do the work. I am going to try the roll-on paint method that Ryan brought to my attention about a year ago. I figure I will start with the hood and the headlight covers and see if it looks smooth. If if doesn't I will try something else.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Aaah, got it, rol-on is definitely a cost effective way to go.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I sprayed the bomber GL last week with gloss black trailer paint leftovers, was painting trailers to fill in for my brotha and mixed up a bit to much paint, it was gonna go to waste so I was looking for a place to dispose of it, hmm probes out back, did't sand it, didn't mask it, just sprayed. To my surprise it turned out really glossy, looks good from 50ft away, oh and just wiped the windows down with laquer to clean them up, also to my surprise I'm actually a decent painter, makes me more willing to do the body/paint work on the Mx6 myself at least that way I can guarantee that it will get done.

On another note the probe has a retarded idle problem lately, sometimes 3 grand sometimes 1600 all the whille the computer try's to correct it, no CEL yet but when I open the hood you can hear one of the relays on the firewall going apeshit, any thoughts? It also died on me tuesday, left it on the side of the road in time out, hit the train tracks to hard going to work and dead, nothing just dead, cranks but no fire, was going to tow it home and I was checking all the fuses on the side of the road and only 1 was popped, replaced it and nothing, hmmmmm can't hear the fuel pump, roll over switches are a bitch, pushed the switch back in and fuel pump instantly wound up and it was happy again. The fuse I replaced ended up being the radio that hasn't worked since I bought it, bonus.

·
Registered
283 Posts
theres a ZE straight neck manifold on probetalk for $125 shipped. i thought somebody was looking for 1 not to long ago? nick?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
they do good even with the de port shape? What would you think a good price for the cams or the ze heads? I just bought the whole top end of one for 500 shipped...2 heads, 4 cams, and the mani/tb/fuel rails, prolly not the best deal ever, but I don't think it was too bad...I have 2 bad heads to raid keepers from, and the 2 bad heads are attached to a good bottom end, I think...Just don't have a car to put it in atm...

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Personally, I'd just buy a motor for around $1k shipped, tune carefully and lower the boost a bit for the ZE, and you've got a newer lower mileage motor that's still fast for less work.

BUT, that is a pretty damn good deal for the parts! I'm sure the shipping alone was $100+

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Hey guys! It's been a while since I posted as I just recently got access back to internet. Man .. training has been ALOT more difficult than I expected. We run 15-20 miles/week on top of all the other foot training. Those of you who knew me before knew me as a 240lb fella ... yeah I'm sitting @ 180lbs w/ a 6 pack now! Unfortunately I've also lost a lot of muscle mass. The Army is all about muscle endurance and not muscle mass.

But anyhow ... I had a ZE manifold on one of my old MX6's. I wasn't impressed with the results. I'm convinced you really need both the camshafts and correct VRIS points to benefit from the ZE manifold design. I still wish someone would spend sometime making a great aftermarket intake for those KL's!

I'll now spend a few hours going through past pages and reading. Huntingstil, it sounds like the car has given you some issues. I'm really sorry it hasn't been working out. :( I tried to be as upfront and honest about the car as possible. If it's still a boat anchor in October ... I'll gladly buy it back from ya. Hope everything else is well though in UPOC-land!

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Great talking to you Josh!

Have fun reading all the happenings around Dylan's car, and everything else. :p

Take care buddy!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Personally, I'd just buy a motor for around $1k shipped, tune carefully, and you've got a newer lower mileage motor that's still fast for less work.

BUT, that is a pretty damn good deal for the parts! I'm sure the shipping alone was $100+
fixed it;)

I have actually thought about boosting a ze, but from most of my readings, it sounds like there are better results with the de setup...and of course with a better intake setup...I think I wanna build a motor for it when it comes time, 10:1, but with the de heads/intake mani, and ze cams. I don't really know exactly what I wanna do with the setup I just bought, but at the very least, I can built a motor to ze specs using it, if I decide to...

It's good to hear from you again josh...at 180, you're down to my weight, but I don't have a six pack...

extra bit to add...ended up finding 2 exh manis between mine and zach's "extra" piles...as it turns out, the spare motor I got from mark had the rear bolted up, and when I showed up at zach's today, he had a front sitting there he found...score for me;)

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
just took the car to get inspected/emissions it passed everything except the left inner tierod, right lower balljoint and the exhaust gasket is leaking in front of the cat which i just changed (prob just didnt tighten it enough) how hard is the tierod and balljoint to change, ive never changed either? im just gonna grab the parts at autozone, they are pretty cheap

10061 - 10080 of 12501 Posts