Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 12501 Posts

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Yeah...that's gonna be a honey :)

But meh...I make that much power from my '89 2.2L SOHC motor...with 16 year old technology...:D

Now...making it pass the same emissions requirements...that may be a different story :p

I dunno about the block...the turbo and n/a blocks are almost identical...you'll have to put on the longer threads for the oil filter and cooler like I showed you the other night, and I know the non turbo blocks aren't as rich in nickel...thus they're lighter and not as strong...though it likely doesn't matter too much...

Laters
Ryan

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Yeah, it's not a race car... infact extemated track times are not much better than the 3.0 v6 Mazda 6. They added weight of course, all wheel drive, and also steel strenghtening beems here and there. So at only 54 lbs more HP than the v6, and more weight... But electornically contorlled AWD, HID's, bose sound... refined rear link suspention, it'd be a nice BMW like refined ride. Extimated 14.7 1/4 mile.... Slowwww... I think that may be wrong, but still. It around 3500 lbs.
I dont like the hood to tell you the truth. It is raised inthe middle over an inch to make room for the top mounted intercooler.
For 30K it'll be a nice competitor for BMW, and Audi. Unfortunatly, also only made in Japan, and shipped over.

Oh, then there's the 800 HP Twin turbo viper powered truck. 4.4 sec 0-90! A price tag of $106K and gets about 8 mile to the gallon. literally.

I'll keep my M edition for now.

Zach, sorry I couln't help you this weekend. I ended up moving all my crap in the garage and basement to storage, and am getting ready to move to the appartment. That'll be this week.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
so...you're still moving out...?

You're going to hate no garage :p

Laters
Ryan

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I got the A/C out today! woot! and the fuel filter, which was surprisingly clean (blew it out). I loosened the head bolts so it'll be easy to take off once the motor is out, loosened some bolts from the motor mounts, and...yea that's about it. I only spent an hour over there today. I work the night tonight:( bummer. but if I have evenings off sometime do you think we can finish it up ryan? you get off at 6, right?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Who's moving out now? Ryan, you should have called me and told me about the thing in Layton. I had no idea. I know, I know, if I would have read the board more often. Yea yea.

Nick

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Me me me... I'm moving out. Selling my house to move into an apartment until my new house is built. Probably not till nex April. :(

·
Registered
220 Posts
Moving out Moving in

Hi everyone,

While Bill is moving out, I will be moving in. I am looking at moving up hopefully right after the first of the year. I am trying to narrow it down to the North Utah County area. I just can't wait. I was up about 2 weeks ago, it felt really good to be back. I just wasn't anticipating the traffic south of Lehi. Oh well, I just won't go past AF on I-15. Look forward to meeting you all sometime after the New Year.

Bill, where are you building at? I am still looking for the family house.

Talk Soon,

Slidin Sideways,

Mike:wave:

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Ah...yeah...traffic at point of the mountain area...it can REALLY suck down there...

'Course I've been battling two separate construction zones on my way to work each day...that really sucks...

Laters
Ryan

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey have any of you done the HEI mod? Since i'm putting a klze in my car (93) and i dont have a stock distributor i figured it made much more sense to go HEI. What will i need to do to make it work? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Mike, I'm having a house built in West Valley. It's off of 6000 W and 4700 South. North west side. Fairly nice houses. The city requires them to be full stucco exterior, and more than 1500 finished square feet. The lot sizes are decent. I think ours is about 1/3 or an acre. Both Reliance Homes and Liberty Homes are building in the area.
For the next 5 months we'll just be in an apartment on 3500 south. Sorry I didn't get to meet up with you when you were here. I guess you were to busy with business anyway.

My garage is officailly out of comision. I took all my tools to a storage unit over the last weekend. :( I'm guessing now is the time when my car start falling apart and braking down.

Mike, depending on your budget, there are some nice houses out on the north west side of Utah lake. I think they are $300K plus. They're pretty big and nice.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
So...don't tell me you actually paid a G for it??

Swooshman...My feelings about the HEI mod are mixed...for some reason it went to shit very quickly on me, and left me screwed on an auto cross day...BUT the exact same setup on Josh's car worked great...I went back to a used disty...he's still got the HEI...

It's more like a quick fix...if you want real ignition upgrades, start looking at MSD, otherwise stock Disty is great...if it's currently working...with the MSD, you'll spend more...but it's a helluva lot more of an upgrade. :)

Just my opinion :)

Laters
Ryan

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'd like to get the car on the road asap and i'm throwing a bunch of money at the car so if i can save 100 by going hei then i'd rather do that than buy a new disty from autozone. Worst case scenario i'm out 60 bucks at some point. Did you use a DE disty or a ZE one? I appreciate your answers! Its damn near impossible to get any kind of responses to questions i have on this forum.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
of course I didn't pay 1G for it, I paid $399 + tax, just like everyone else did for the premium system. but I'm gonna put it up on ebay, and I'll probably get around a grand. one of my buddies at work did one on ebay..he didn't have ANY pictures and it was set up horribly, and he got $960 + shipping on his...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info. I haven't decided whether I want to go new or (preowned). Saratoga Springs is to far off the beaten path, I would like to stay close to the 15 (w/o hearing it.)
I will be up for a week in December, let's get together then.

Talk soon,
Mike

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Shwooshman, the only way you'll be able to run the ZE disty is with the ZE ECU, at which you'll also need the ZE JE-50 VAF and an external coil.

If you've got the stock computer, just a stock disty will do :)

Laters
Ryan

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Yeah, I really wouldn't call the HEI-Mod an upgrade so much as a cheap replacement/fix. I did notice a significant increase in my torque numbers but that was probably only because my last ignitor was failing. Anyhow, pretty easy install.

I didn't think you could use a DE Distributor on a ZE. There's no place to insert it into the side of the front head is there?

We need to have a Fix-It/Tech Meet, but it's too cold now! Well, I think I'm the one who would benefit the most from it ... as I have quite a few things I'd like to get patched up before the winter.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Quiz Question: What would cause my car to sputter at low RPM's (below 3500) and ONLY after it warms up? It runs terrific when cold. Once the Temp. guage raises to normal it starts to skip/studder/sputter.

Coolant Temp Sens.? VAF?
Plugs, Wires, and Disty all tested and replaced.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Slidin Sideways said:
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info. I haven't decided whether I want to go new or (preowned). Saratoga Springs is to far off the beaten path, I would like to stay close to the 15 (w/o hearing it.)
I will be up for a week in December, let's get together then.

Talk soon,
Mike
Sounds good.

Josh, I'll think about that for a bit and see if anything crosses my mind. On first thought, I was thinking your ignition set up, but if you already swaped in a stock disty, that would rule that out. Second thought, the throtle body has coolant lines going to it and I think a sensor on the bottom of the throttle body. I'll keep thinking about it.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
The KLZE and DE disty's are interchangable on the motor itself. You just need the proper ECU and an external coil to use the KLZE disty.

As for your problem...I'd be pretty suspicious of that coolant temp sensor...I've had issues with them before very similar to yours.

Laters
Ryan

1081 - 1100 of 12501 Posts