Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

11081 - 11100 of 12501 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
SO My MS2 showed up yesterday and I'm getting excited to start on it, one of the things I wanted to change was to mount all of the chips in sockets, as matt had suggested. Matt said the sockets would be a bugger to find and to expect to be driving around SLC for a while to track them all down.

Out of curiosity I looked them up online, seems the best place to find them is ebay, I ended up buying all gold plated chip sockets and the good news is that they come 5-10 per size......So if anybody wishes to do the same with their MS I will extras available for cheap. They should all be here around the July 28-Aug 2

I got the 8 pin, 6pin and 16pin sockets

The 40 pin is available in gold as well but the one that came with the MS looks good to me

40 pin link,
2x 40 PIN GOLD DIP IC SOCKET PANEL ADAPTER SWAP,G40S | eBay

·
Registered
444 Posts
Surely not, posting again, bah.

I had quite the adventure last night when I went to work, the highlights include in order,
An EPIC fail followed by
Persistance on my brakes/lunch and finally
An EPIC win

No No bad turbo....
Hard under boost and mile away from the work parking lot my OE turbo went boom, shaft snapped/compressor turned into molten pile of goo inside the housing and subsequently oil started pouring into the exhaust as the turbine snuck out of the housing far enough to leak, I completely smoked out the entire road with thick oil smoke, it was awesome. Pulled up into the parking lot, shut her down, no need to let the turbo cool down and grabbed my stuff and went to work, not before I noticed a puddle of oil in the exhaust tips, on the ground and the entire back f the car was covered in it.

Through out the night I weighed my options, at first I thought the other welder could just tow me as he always drives his truck out, nope he rode the harley, wife could come out, nope I have the car seats, well then I'm pretty [fizzle]ed on options right now and then I came to my senses and decided I wasn't going to let the car win, it still runs fine I just have deal with the oil consumption :V

Sooooooo I looked for a plug for the oil feed line at the maintenance shop, nope nothing metric, screw it, cut the oil feed line, folded it over and put a c-clamp on it to get it to seal, now for the drain I'm pretty sure the exhaust will draw a siphon on it while running, vise grips on the hose and I win :jump:

Borrowed a gallon of 15w 40 Mobil Del VAc and off I went, luckily I left at 5 am this morning so the cover darkness would help hide the oil smoke trail, I drove 15 miles to the I80 on ramp and pulled over to check the oil, still good and the car was smoking a lot due to the residual in the exhaust, surprisingly I was able to cruise at 75 with the turbo completely restricting flow on both sides, the mpg gauge even said I was getting 28mpg.

On to I80, slow as hell accelerating but got it up to 75 and held it there till lake point, about 20 miles into I80 I heard some thing inside my exhaust clunking and you could hear it traveling towards the rear of the car, in the rear view mirror I see a glowing object :flamer: come out the back of the car and spark as it bounced down I80, likely the turbine and its likely in some bodys tire now :rolleyes:, sorry. surprisingly it wasn't smoking to bad, still a trail but just cruising it was totally reasonable considering the trauma under the hood

So now the turbo guts are going nuclear, I pulled off on my exit and popped the hood, the housing was glowing yellow/orange under the heat shields, never seen one that hot and all I could hear was the heat shields crackling, what ever, anyways it seemed to have more power after the turbine fell out, oil was about 1/2 gallon low so topped her off and went on my way.

Made it home and parked it on the dirt as it was dripping oil from every where, engine rear end under body tail pipe, etc. a quick that'll do pig moment and off to bed :zzz: I went to ponder of a new bigger T3/T4.

So the math is, 43 miles, no oil in the turbo whatsoever, burned gallon and half of oil total and 28mpg with no turbo, I win :jump:

I can't wait to see what the inside of the nuclear turbo looks like, it was funny at some point the ECU realized something wasn't right :wave: as the check engine light came on, most likely a soaked o2 sensor.

Most people would be all worried after having a failure like that, I'm happy, now I get a big turbo and with that I'm off to ebay.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yeah I was little worried about the policia but no problems, one even passed me when I was near tooele.

Just scored a china GT35 off ebay :jump: big 500HP capable guy with internal waste gate for now, 170.00 shipped, Matt's china turbo in his second gen is still going strong and all the guts interchange with the American rebuild kits so I'm willing to give it a shot. Matt's 1st gen with the T3/T04E maxed out the injectors at 11-12psi so I don't see an issue with the internal waste gate for now.

I think I'm gonna relocate the VAF to in front of the compressor and I randomly have most of the parts needed to get it in already from previous builds, just need to gut the power steering and A/C to make room then build a header/down pipe, install a TiAl BOV. and we should be good to go, gas mileage should go up also from the bigger turbine not restricting as much.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
With a blown turbo you still get better fucking mileage than I do. HAHA.

hmm fun stuff. Lemme know how that gt35 works out.

Well my ac system has a restriction... Yay not. AND I honestly think the compressor may be seizing.

·
Registered
427 Posts
found out my ac compressor is seized today, got the new belt and was talking to a neighbor about it. he told me what to look for in getting a used one. So it looks like tomorrow is a pnp day...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Good luck with that. I think mine is ended up as not being tight enough or I just may have to get a new belt. Either way 60 is better than 70.

Tomorrow she gets a decatting and finished exhaust. Straight pipe with the exception of a resonator ftw.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Sounds good Ryan!! Thanks, I'm going camping today till Sunday morning so Sunday works good........what do you usually charge for that?
Charge?? For bending up your car? I don't charge for that. :p
But really, it's something I'm happy to help out on. I'll be at the shop this afternoon, call me. 801-520-1106.

·
Registered
427 Posts
found a good ac compressor at pnp today, somebody needed the bracket behind it so the left it hanging on by the lines.... cut them and... hiss....good newds pressure. spin the outside thing that drives the compressor... it turns easily, nother good sign. So i took it off and plugged the holes with my fingers. one sucked the air other pulled it. That is as good as I know how to test it, at least without putting it on a working pressurized system.

Came home and pulled mine off, easily.... took three main bolts off then took the lines off, one of the bolts holding them on was really loose... so that was where my major leak was... im going to do another vacc check tonight and see if it will hold pressure without the compressor. then add back that and evacc the system. OF course if all goes well bring it back and put the belt on and have ac tonight!

·
Registered
427 Posts
hooked it all up and, ac clutch did not engage... hooked that compressor straight to the battery, and it engaged so I have ac if I jump it right now... but I need to do some wire tracing tomorrow.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Finally uploaded some pics of the build progress today:jump:
HLA's laid out,

Valves lapped/laid out, all parts were ultra sonically cleaned

The smallest part in a KL,

Last time I will see those,

Sigh of relief,

KL31 cams,

Heli-coils and cap head grade 10 header hardware,

Random pic of the garage, motor was in ceran wrap to protect while the heads were away,

Plans to market these in billet alum. Will modify like this for 40

Installed,

Experimental oil cooler and sandwich adapter, yes it is pinkish,

Spent about and hour at Checker trying all the filters, biggest one I could find that would work,

Eliminated coolant line to OE oil cooler and other block mods,

Final result for this weekend,

And finally megasquirt progress, set up a corner in my office, kinda felt like surgery suite,

Got this far last night and I plan on doing the Diodes tonight

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ryan I didn't make it back from camping as early as I wanted, and by the time I got everything unpacked I was kinda beat from the trip as well so sorry I didnt call ya, I'm off all week so if you have some free time soon let me know. If your still up for doing my AC I can come down tomorrow morning and we can do it then? Il give you a call today or first thing in the morning, Il check back here later today to as well.

Bad monkey tour motor looks awesome!! How the Hell did you get the heads and everything so clean and shiny?? I want mine to look the same. What color you doin your manifold?

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Ashton, call me tomorrow, well get the a/c done. Fender rolling well have to do after work though.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sounds good Ryan what time works best for you? Other than goin to the gym I'm open all-day!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Cool that engine looks badass.

finally finished my exhaust so it doesn't exit right after the rear subframe anymore. And decatted it. YES it's straight piped minus a small factory resonator. sounds great.

·
Registered
283 Posts
What's that your oil filter is attached to?

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Sounds good Ryan what time works best for you? Other than goin to the gym I'm open all-day!
A/C we'll do at the shop, that can be done anytime you can leave it for a couple hours between 9-3, the earlier the better.

If you want to do the fenders tomorrow as well we'll do that after work, so you'd want to plan on either hanging around until after or doing it this weekend.

I'll have the baseball bat with me just in case.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The engine is almost entirely new, the pistons are OE but every thing else is new. I had Casey's hot tank the block and heads which strips everything down to original metal, all of the small parts went through my ultra sonic cleaner, absolutely the most used tool I have bought from harbor freight, between simple green mix and purple power you can strip all the bolts/small parts back to the original Nickle plating, also works great on HLA's/burned on oil parts, I think I paid 69.00 for it three years ago and its still going like a mofo

Intake hmmm I dunno yet, it will be temporary so I'll prolly just leave it alone, after 1000 mile break in the megasquirt is going on and then I have three 60mm milly TB's I am going to build a tunnel short ram intake manifold for, should improve throttle response drastically and a ton more air available, later on when I turbo I will retain the TB setup and just build a plenom over the top of them for boost

The last motor's bearing's ate themselves and I didn't want to use the OE oil cooler as you can never get all of the junk out of them so It's just an adapter I found, ebay 25.00 shipped, they had blue and black also but the red was the cheapest, it has three 1/8"npt outlets so you can run your turbo oil feed line, oil pressure gauge etc. out of it.

I plan on hooking up the new fancy oil cooler to it and a new auto meter carbon fiber oil pressure gauge. I did have to modify the stud for the oil filter, I used a 1st gen turbo stud and then cut it down to the length I needed, the O-ring that came with the adapter was kinda lame so I got some Viton O-rings to replace it, yes there are two on it and then the filter is the same metric thread just larger in diameter and length. You can also use it with the OE oil cooler if needed.

I was checking out the oil cooler tonight and it has huge fins inside of it as well as the outside, I'm thinking 3/8" lines should be plenty of flow, thats what the big guy in the burban has.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
That's a purty motor, hopefully it'll make Ryan itch to get his KLZE done :p

In other news Jitty got some new helicoils and studs for the exhaust manifold and Ryan fixed the A/C for me cuz he's a champ. Feels kinda weird to have actual A/C in a 1st gen but the option is nice.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Win some, loose some. Ashton didn't get so lucky, compressor clutch is no good.....

Zach, awesome progress. I'll be @ Miller Sunday July 24, I can pick up one of those mechanical tensioners then.

11081 - 11100 of 12501 Posts