Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, i really need some advice very important.

I just looked at a 95 MX6, his asking $12, AUD for. Silver 5sp manual. But I've got him down to $11 allrdy.

Anyways, I just had a veichle inspection completed on the car and the few that get me are:

Engine
Oil leaks - Sump area, various, timing cover area, various - Clean to locate source/s, clean/tighten/monitor, drips forming, engine oil covered, oil leakage evident, oil leaks various areas.

Noies - Engine valve mechnasim - Adjust and re-assess, excessive noise audible, valve gear assembly, valve mechnaism/balance/drive chain.

Tranmissin
Flud/leaks - Gearbox oil leak - Clean and check for leaks, clean to locate source/s, pan area.

Steering/Suspension
Steering box/rack - Steering rack - Free play evident, left front.
Steering wheel - Steering wheel - Loose on rim

Misc
Radio - Alternator whine, souind qulaity, electrical whine whistle audible when electrical system loaded. ie. lights or any other device in use.

Please the help me out here, how severe are these things?

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
I don't know about the conversion from AUD to USD...

The valvetrain noise is normal. It is either the HLA's tapping or the friction gear spring. Neither will cause any damange to the engine, its more of an aesthic (spl?) thing. It is also a common problem for the Valve Covers to leak a little over time. Its an easy fix, just replace the gaskets. No biggie.

As for the gearbox leak, where is it leaking from? That could be a big problem.

My steering rack has been busted since I bought the car...about 18months ago. I just keep filling the power steering fluid up because I am to poor to change the rack right now. No ill effects as of yet.

Alternator noise through the radio is the result of bad grounding. Is it an aftermarket radio? The stock ground on our cars is not exactly the greatest, but then again most stock ground points aren't.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply radar, how much could it cost to fix the gearbox leak? Even in US dollars, i can at least get a rough idea at what im looking at. Rite now, 1aud buys 75us cents, abouts.

The radio is a clario deck, connected to a 4 way amp. No sub, for now....

If the steering rack is gone, is that expensive to replace/fix?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts