Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i thought i was gonna have an easy swap today, but the Mx3 flywheel my local clutch/driveline place supplied me is way different than the one im pulling off. I am not sure if they gave me the right one, or what the hell i am missing! At first i thought it could have been for the I4 mx3, but i thought that the v6 and I4 use different clutches, and my clutch fits on it.

The mx3 they gave me wieghs 17.25 which is what they are supposed to be at from what i read.
The main problem, the mx3 has only 6 bolt holds to hold it to the crank, and my crank/original flywheel has 8! They are also different sizes, the 6 mx3 bolt holes are quite a bit bigger than the 8 on the stocker.
The bore of the hole that goes over the crank is also bigger than the stocker.

bore size is different:

did they give me the wrong flywheel, or what am i missing?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
thats the wrong flywheel. What it actualy goes to is not important though theres a good chance it was for the 1.6L 4 banger. Go trade it in.

As for the clutch fitting ( I assume you mean the disc) several cars in the mazda line up use the same disc an d some use the same preasure plate as well.

EDIT: second pic the back of the new FW says BPR7. You asked for the FW for the 1.8L and the gave you the one for the 1.8L 4 banger BP. Or it may interchange with the B6 1.6L.

Some people have a hard time finding the actual MX-3 piece since they get mixxed up with the 2.5L piece and are treated as the same pn. If you cant find a 1.8L one let me know.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
^^^ What he said.

Definitely sounds like you got one for the I4 instead of the V6. Bring it back with yours in hand so they don't complain about taking it back. Hopefully you don't have any receipts that say I4 though as they could consider this type of item which is sensitive to being dropped a one way sale.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i definitely dont know where the reciept is as i bought it over a month ago.

LS you have a pm.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
maybe store credit. Thats what they do for me.

Recieved and responded cf-z.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
man fuck. thats what im figuring too.

bp motor you say?
where is there info on this flywheel?/does it fit any other mazdas (or will i be able to re sell it lol..)

edit: store credit is what im hopeing for AT LEAST.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ls six your inbox is full.

heres what i tried to send you:
okay man thats sweet.

all the shops around here say they wont lighten any flywheel, otherwise i would just have them lighten my stocker.
maybe the local place will just say they will lighten/resurface the stocker if they cant get the RIGHT mx3 one in.
i'll get back to you if i need it.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Yeah a lot of places wont do it and you want it done by a competent shop so dont go and try it your self.

I also have a fidanza but it'll take stupid money to get that from me lol.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Thats nothing. I bought all the usual items for a new (used) car after I bought the T/A and then parked it for the last 2 months as I collected parts information and such.

I started to put it all together today and the oil filter T-stat a gasket set and several other tune up items were missing :( Nothing makes you feel like your actualy making progress like buying everything twice.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you want something done right, i guess you gotta do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh no, what the **** did you do?..

:D
took off, like 8 pounds?

too bad im out a bunch of money on it. shoulda just dont it myself in the first place.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a dremel?

lol what does it look like i did it with? a huge lathe.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
didnt know you had access to one, or knew how to use it. Probaly could get away with providing the service to members...
(only asked because I know of a neon owner that went at theirs with a grinder..LOL)
i have a little more smarts than some would link to think ;).

i worked at an independant garage with a full machine shop in the old building next door.
the lathe i used for this is fucking ENORMOUS. i had to change the chuck from a 4 jaw to a 3 jaw for this, i promise you the 4 jaw wieghed 75 pounds. We have an electric winch attatched to the cieling just to change these things out.

but i never thought about doing it for other members. I actually would be more than willing to do it for them :tup:.
although i can not resurface them i dont think.

hehe, glad you didn't use a dremel or a grinder, because if you did, I would have to bring up this thread :)

http://www.mx6.com/forums/lounge/216499-spanish-tuner-must-copex-relatives.html
yeah. i was about to say i did it with sandpaper and lots of time. but thats just rediculous lol.

EDIT:
also, i am going to have it re balanced tomorrow. Im pretty sure it is nessesary after removing so much material. It wieghs at an even 15 pounds now.
Im not sure if i really do want to have it balanced, because then they will have it most likely untill the weekend due to thanksgiving. plus its 30 more dollars to spend.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts