Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I got my in dash non-motorized sreen in the mail today. From the looks of things it is brand new. Okay there is one large cord comming out of the back of the screen that splits into a number of different wires. Here they are...A RED wire labeled 12V, Black labeled Ground, Green labeled Backing-Up Control, and then it was a White Video (V1) wire, and a Yellow Video (V2) wire. The red and black wires come out of the main cord and then go into a thing labeled as a filter box and then the wires come out of that again as red and black. Okay first off I took the red wire and taped into the battery wire that goes to my CD player. I did the same for the ground...connected the ground wire with the one used for my CD player. I dont have a DVD player yet so there is nothing else to hook up I'm guessing. So I go to turn on the screen and it wont come on. I double check the wires and the red and black look correct, but it wont come on. Is the green wite necissary? Also would I have to have the video cords connected to something for the screen to light up? I'm just confued because I'm never done this before. I'd kinda like to make sure the screen works, so if anyone could help me out asap that would be great.
Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay the story gets a little more wierd. I came to the idea that I may be the fuse. The fuse is like a 2A fuse that no one that was open had in. I got a tip to wrap the old fuse with foil and that would tell if the fuse was blown. Okay I did that, opened that filter box and put the fuse back in. This time when I touched the ground wire to the ground wire that was already attached to the car there was a spark. If freaked the **** outta me so I quickly took the wires apart. This spark didn't occur when I had the fuse in without the foil around it. Next I did something stupid and got a fuse that was a little larger. I didn't even click the fuse into place and it kinda sparked and all my interior lights went out. So now I'm guessing a blew the light fuse. Again, I'm still a little stumped and I still dont know if the screen works.
Please try and help me out.
Mike

·
Registered
257 Posts
Try wiring the red 12v wire to the cigarette lighter line. Thats what I did and it works fine.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Maybe the green is supposed to be constant(yellow wire on aftermarket wire harness), and the red is supposed to be red on the harness. You would have to double check with the manual or with the supplier/place you got if from.

If the green wire is an extra wire, and everything works, then it is possible that you can leave the screen on. I would hook up a relay from the radio(the ignition/accessories wire as the switch part) and the battery(as the power source you want to the screen). That way, when you turn off the car the screen will shut off too.

Also, you may have fried your screen putting the foil on. Putting the foil like you did, just connects the contacts and defeats the purpose of the fuse. Let's say there was something wrong, the fuse will not pop to save the screen. So you should put back the right fuse and hope it works.

Lastly, try hooking up a video source(vcr, playstation, etc.). It maybe that the screen just displays nothing when there is no source of video. I know on mine I can't even access the menu with no video source on, but I know it's on because it displays a blue screen that says no signal.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it will help you troubleshoot/figure out what is wrong with your screen. Worst comes to worst, just send it back and get a new one. Good luck.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay me and a friend figured it out. It was that little filter box that kept blowing the fuse inside of it and the fuse that contols the radio & interior lights under the dash. We just cut that box off and wired it up with my CD player and it works fine now. Good clean picture. Now the only problem is I think I shorted out the rear speaker wires because the speakers won't play the bass. Anyone know how to get the base back in the rear?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts