Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i did a good one today kiddies. went to peel out in first today to show some bro's of mine what i could do. started jabbering before i did this. stopped at a desolate stop sign, not knowing i forgot!! to put it in first, i revved the engine up to 7500RPMs on accident, in neutral. any chance i hurt anything? first and last time i ever do that! :)

SolarSlash

·
Registered
61 Posts
there's a fuel cutoff for a reason
if the engine couldn't take 7500 (maybe closer to 7000 in reality) then the fuel cutoff would come then... it's probably good to give them motors a workout every once in awhile ;)

the only damage i can imagine you need to look for is a moist drivers seat

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL!!!!!!

i got moist just reading that i didnt do any damage to my 6. woohoo!!! thx azl. keep up the killin @-

SolarSlash

·
Registered
257 Posts
naaaaah, i done 7300-7400rpm IN gear. as long as you had good oil, u ok.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BLUM!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe, where ya been ol buddy?! havent seen ya in a bit. welcome back. thx for the info. later

SolarSlash

·
Registered
123 Posts
The V6 engines in these cars where ment to be driven in the high RPM range and like to be driven hard.. As long as you keep everything in tip-top shape ie. clean oil all working parts ect. you shouldn't have any trouble. And as for reving the engine to 7500 rpm or actually for that matter 7800 where the cutoff is it won't hurt it uneless I guess you hold it there for a long time... Like a couple of minutes or better, then you might do some damage depending on the shape your motor is in..

PS. You shouldn't need to rev your car that high to put down a little rubber..

Later

[Edited by shawnn on 03-31-2001 at 12:52 PM]

·
Registered
33 Posts
hey my 6 is my first car and i learned how to frive 5spd on it well any way right when i got my car i went to peal out and never shifted to 2nd and i hit the cut off like a bitch.i was lurching bad.i think think the same day i was in third and went to shift to forth but i went to second and redlined and fuel cut off limator saved me.i love that thing

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
macchew2 said:
hey my 6 is my first car and i learned how to frive 5spd on it well any way right when i got my car i went to peal out and never shifted to 2nd and i hit the cut off like a bitch.i was lurching bad.i think think the same day i was in third and went to shift to forth but i went to second and redlined and fuel cut off limator saved me.i love that thing
Just posted to tell a litle story
A really mental person i know went to take the driving licence, he didnt pass and got furios when he got home he started his Mazda 818 from 75 layd a big stone on the gaspedal and went inside his home.1/2 hour later he went back to the car and found it still screaming at max rpm.
at least he succeded to destroy the engine after he had drained off the oil and let it run 10 minutes more with the rock on the trottle.afterwords he finished the poor things life with about 15 rounds of buckshoots.

When you have wiped of your tears from this sad story you could calm your self with the fact that you didnt hurt your car at all
i have accidently revved my FE3 engine far up in the redmarked area a lots of times when passing other cars
and even with 350000 km on the odometer this wonder of a engine still runs as smoth idling i can place a coin standing to the valve cover

[Edited by FE3T on 04-01-2001 at 04:17 AM]

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh my lord....

FE3T: A really mental person i know went to take the driving licence, he didnt pass and got furios when he got home he started his Mazda 818 from 75 layd a big stone on the gaspedal and went inside his home.1/2 hour later he went back to the car and found it still screaming at max rpm.
at least he succeded to destroy the engine after he had drained off the oil and let it run 10 minutes more with the rock on the trottle.afterwords he finished the poor things life with about 15 rounds of buckshoots.
hey!!! you know my brother??!! LOL, thats hilarious. thx for the info guys.

SolarSlash

·
Registered
621 Posts
High Revs

I have a feeling that the 7800 cutoff is well below maximum rev range for a well lubed engine.

I remember reading an article about the volvo engines, (I think the NA 2.3) where they put the engine on a block and ran it at 13000 rpm for like a couple of hours without any damage.

It's probably not good to bounce off the rev-limiter in first gear to impress your friends tho... I should be more careful...

·
Registered
886 Posts
From what I can gather from your post, you have an mtx. If you had an atx, it would be a different story. It's definetly not a good idea to rev an engine that high in P with an atx, it does bad things to the torque converter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
my ze w/ a reprogrammed ecu hit 8200 (well i guess that would be about right, the tach ends at 8000) aa few times, and it's an auto, so i think the engine is alright...

·
Registered
36 Posts
i accidently reved mine up to 8000 RPM in first gear,i got real worried, i acctually stoped the car and check everything, but it didn't seem to have any effects on the engine

DP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts