Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have been seriously thinking about getting a V6 MX6 or Probe GT (prefer the MX6). This weekend I drove a friends V6 626 both on the free way and in the city. Though the car had some power I felt that is was a little under powered. The car did have 4 passengers and 2 were big (could easily play college football). I'm just wondering if the MX6 or Probe will feel faster because of the weight difference. What is the weight difference? How much faster is it? I was very impressed that the car had 130k miles and was very very smooth. Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sari

·
Registered
362 Posts
As far as I know, the power output and weight are the same(maybe 20kg more weight in the 626?), so performance should be near identical. My 626 goes damn well, with 150klms on the clock, but looses a LOT of perfomance with more than one passenger, to the point that i hate having 5 ppl in the car.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I believe the 626 is pulling much more weight than the mx-6,probe. And I've noticed when I have 4 people in my mx-6, it feels like im towing something. Its, the back seats just dont carry weight well. Give a test drive of a probe gt, or mx-6 to feel the real difference.

·
Registered
416 Posts
road and track tested the 626 es 5 speed in 97 and it pulled a 16.8 1/4 mile time, while the mx-6 v6 5 speed pulled a 15.7 1/4 mile time. thats just what i read, not trying to cause any disputes.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
the 626 is a sedan so it's gonna weigh more and the V6 in it is different i believe. The mx6 and probes are built to have a more sporty feel to it, and less of a family feel. Just depends whether or not you want to release the seat for someone everytime they want out (like kids). MX6 is gonna be faster (i'm 90% sure).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Time for some cold hard facts :)
these were all taken from reviews on the auto channel website (www.autochannel.com i think)
All vehicles have the same same power plant, the kl-03 with 164Hp at 5600rpm and 160lb/ft at 4800rpm

Curb weights: 97 mx-6 2800lbs
96 Probe GT 2921lbs
97 626 2988lbs
giving 17.01lbs/hp, 17.81lbs/hp, and 18.21lbs/hp
respectively.
going by those numbers, the mx6 should be slightly quicker than the probe, which is slightly quicker than the 626. the difference would be quite small, though the mx-6 is over 100lbs lighter than the other 2 and would have the most noticeable difference.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Not all of it is weight, the Probe also has 16" rims compared to the 15" rims in the MX-6, and I believe it also has a different diff ratio. All of these will affect performance.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Good point, I hadn't thought of that.
Acording to the specs at http://www.automotive.yellowpages.com.au/ the mx6 and 626 have a 4.1:1 final drive, whereas the Probe has 4.388:1
Haven't a clue what that means (faster or slower) but hope it helps.

·
Banned
55 Posts
final drives are different and so are the tire diameters. that way pgt and mx6 v6 have identical rpms at given speeds. pgt is slightly faster than mx6 thanks to its aerodynamics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts