Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just crashed my mx6 last week and tonight i had an idea. I was wondering if it is possible to buy a 626 and just swap the engine from my mx6 to the 626. I realize that some 626's already were made with the v6 in an mx6, but all i can find are four bangers. My engine already has aftermarket parts on it and extremely low miles. My questions.....
1. Is a I4 swap to a v6 possible? or do i need to find a 626 with a v6 already to do the swap?
2. What all would a swap entail?? Just unhook all vacuum hoses and unbolt it, and switch out the computers so my mx6 computer is with the engine it is used to? or is this more complex?
3. If i cant do the swap myself(which i am planning on), how much could i expect to pay for a mechanic to do it??

If anyone has any advise/tips/answers... please post as soon as possible because my mx6 is sitting at a body shop waiting to be sold to a junk yard.

Thanks, bryan

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
keep looking there are more v6 626 than the 4 cyl.

·
Registered
514 Posts
yeah keep lookin I have heard a swap like that will cost more then buying one that came stock with a v6 in it, but if you have the time and money go for it more power to ya

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you still have your whole car as a donor, then you may be able to pull it off. There are substantial differnces in the way the motor mounts to the subframe, the radiator, tranny, and hell, almost every aspect of the car. It would be very time consuming to do, but if you have a *complete* donor car, a lot of time, and a good bit of experience, then it would be do-able.

Probably more trouble than it's worth, unless you found a really, really clean body at a really good price.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
It would certainly be possible... provided you have the time... and you do it yourself..

The labour cost would probably put you off the idea.

Don't forget, if you do take it on, I have the factory manuals which should come in handy, as and when you get stuck. :D

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts